Do humans naturally like fairer skin?

Joshua Chasseur

The evolution of skin color in humans is a well characterized trade off between vitamin D synthesis, and susceptibility to UV damage. The relative "attractiveness" of melanistic skin is, I imagine largely cultural and variable between populations, and individuals within populations.

• 3 weeks later...

I also believe it is a cultural thing. In the past people did not want to have dark skin as it was like if you were low class and work in the fields. Nowadays I think it is more of a personal taste thing, I personally have always been attracted to darker skin.

• 2 years later...

Yes I think fair and clear skin is more attractive to many people.

I think there is a new kind of racism in 2019: it's lookism. Lookism is like racism but it's based on a person's looks.

I think this is something many people find hard to admit:

that the world is nicer to pretty people but if you are ugly like me then life is going to be much more difficult. Girls treat pretty guys much better than they treat ugly guys. And when it comes to dating pretty guys have many more girls to choose from.

It's just not fair that ugly people like me are treated different but I guess that sometimes life is not supposed to be fair.

Edited by seriously disabled

1 hour ago, seriously disabled said:

I think there is a new kind of racism in 2019: it's lookism. Lookism is like racism but it's based on a person's looks.

that the world is nicer to pretty people but if you are ugly like me then life is going to be much more difficult. Girls treat pretty guys much better than they treat ugly guys. And when it comes to dating pretty guys have many more girls to choose from.

It's just not fair that ugly people like me are treated different but I guess that sometimes life is not supposed to be fair.

This too shall pass... If you let it.

1 hour ago, seriously disabled said:

Yes I think fair and clear skin is more attractive to many people.

This isn't about ugly vs pretty. Fair = light colored