Books on Neuroscience

I've been thinking about pursuing an education in neuroscience for some time now, whether this be purely self-education via the internet, books, and seminars, or a formal education. I was wondering if there are any good books on neuroscience out there for the layperson? I'm mainly talking about popular science books written for the general, lay reader, and not technical textbooks, etc. I was wondering if there may perhaps be some comprehensive books that skim over the broad history of the field and are written to be interesting or entertaining to the reader? These are the types of books I try to start with before really delving into the topic. I'm sorry if this is asking for too much or being too specific.

Thanks

Edited by Tampitump

Just a quick series of google searches shows that not many books are published on this topic. I was looking for one that was set up in more of a "spelled-out" format like a "Neuroscience for Dummies" book without being a "for dummies" book. For instance, I recently bought a book called "Science: The Ultimate Visual Guide" which goes through the entirety of scientific history and all the main discoveries and important scientists in history. It is a big, thick, anthology-type book made for the lay reader who likes plain language and visual aids. I find it a good way to get aquainted with scientific concepts. I see nothing like it for neuroscience. But then, I suppose neuroscience is one of the more fledgling, younger, less developed, and less popular fields of science.

There are two books I've read by Oliver Sacks geared towards the general public about the neurological basis of several disorders along with case studies, the first is The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and the second Hallucinations. I would say if you're looking for infotaining reads they satisfy that criteria.

Edited by andrewcellini

Don't be turned away by the name. This one is great: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/neurok.html

When I'm looking stuff up at the above, I prefer to start here and drill-down: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/introb.html

This actually sounds pretty helpful. Thanks iNow!

There are two books I've read by Oliver Sacks geared towards the general public about the neurological basis of several disorders along with case studies, the first is The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and the second Hallucinations. I would say if you're looking for infotaining reads they satisfy that criteria.

I'm really looking for just a fundamentals, or introductory book to get the basics down. But thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a look.

Biopsychology by J.J Pinel is an undergraduate book that will nail the basics down and give you an insight into the pathologies when certain parts don't function properly. Very accessible and explanatory. Cheap as an E-Book: http://www.bonanzamarket.co.uk/listings/Biopsychology-8th-Edition-by-John-Pinel-ebook-etextbook-/322822829?goog_pla=1&gpid=68416460221&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o3&ad_type=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjwltC9BRDRvMfD2N66nlISJACq8591norNIcQnURCcjMXzI1-RrB9Smstv4r3Ighoq-QKM9xoCWjjw_wcB

Biopsychology is cognitive neuroscience.

Edited by StringJunky

For functional anatomy I recommend Kolb B., Whishaw IQ., Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology, New York: Worth Publishers. Or, Nolte,J., The Human Brain: An Introduction to Its Functional Anatomy, St. Louis: Mosby Publishers. For pure anatomy, Netter F.H., Atlas of Human Anatomy, New Jersey: Icon Learning Systems Publishers. I hope this helps.

I'm really looking for just a fundamentals, or introductory book to get the basics down. But thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a look.

For Introduction to Biopsych and Behavioral Neuroscience we used the book Biological Psychology by James W. Kalat which is not technical at all, it's fairly light on the history in each section, and describes little "experiments" you can do to demonstrate certain phenomena. It also introduces the effects of genetics and epigenetics on behavior, as well as giving evolutionary perspectives.

Edited by andrewcellini

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the general point of overlap between neuroscience and psychology? I'm currently taking my first psychology course, and the entire second module of this course seemed to be entirely neuroscience instead of psychology as it dealt with neurons, synapses, neurotransmitters, somas, axons, dendrites, terminal buttons, neuroplasticity, neurogenesis, brain lateralization, the central nervous system, the structures of the nervous system, the electrochemical processes of information transmission in neurons, etc. etc. etc. I understand psychology to be mostly concerned with behavior rather than delving into the physiology and morphology of the brain/nervous system, whereas neuroscience deals with just that. Can someone help me out in my understanding here?

What is the general point of overlap between neuroscience and psychology? I'm currently taking my first psychology course, and the entire second module of this course seemed to be entirely neuroscience instead of psychology as it dealt with neurons, synapses, neurotransmitters, somas, axons, dendrites, terminal buttons, neuroplasticity, neurogenesis, brain lateralization, the central nervous system, the structures of the nervous system, the electrochemical processes of information transmission in neurons, etc. etc. etc. I understand psychology to be mostly concerned with behavior rather than delving into the physiology and morphology of the brain/nervous system, whereas neuroscience deals with just that. Can someone help me out in my understanding here?

There are two primary and overall components of our behavioral expression: External and internal. Psychology explores the external component while neuroscience investigates the internal component of our behaviors. Psychology, as you may know, generally regards mind and behavior, while neuroscience regards their source, which is the brain. Behavioral expression is an ecology in that it's a closed system of actions and interactions, causes and effects, sociological, physiological and neurological influences, which cannot be completely understood without evaluating the primary elements of that closed system. The point of the overlap regards how best to understand behaviors and, thereby, how best to promote healthy behaviors, devise therapies for behavioral aberrations, and create supporting technologies that mimic the mind. If your pursuit of psychology regards an interest in the mind, then your interest necessitates your understanding of the brain and its constituent elements as the neurological machine from which the mind emerges.

Edited by DrmDoc

To use a computer analogy: psychology is the software and neuroscience is the hardware. As psychology affects, and is affected by, the neuroscience it's pretty important. My opinion is that learning psychology is a load of pot air without a strong grounding in cognitive neuroscience; the latter is much more empirically-based than the latter . I started a psychology course...

Edited by StringJunky

Are there free books online that is not crappy? Like a website featuring science stuff.

It depends on your specific interests...but there's nothing like or more reliable than a good book in hand. I don't have as much confidence in online publications as I do the texts I hold in hand as reference.

It depends on your specific interests...but there's nothing like or more reliable than a good book in hand. I don't have as much confidence in online publications as I do the texts I hold in hand as reference.

The source is more important than the medium, don't you think? I think it's just your age. ;)

The source is more important than the medium, don't you think? I think it's just your age. ;)

Perhaps your right, but my books aren't as vulnerable to unscrupulous tampering and malware as I often fear while referencing various websites.

Edited by DrmDoc

I never really hear neuroscience and psychology mentioned in the same sentence or discussion which has always puzzled me since I thought the two addressed different areas of he same questions. Perhaps I'm not paying attention to the right sources. I'm more interested in neuroscience than I am studying behavior. I suppose the underpinning question and motivation of neuroscience is to find out how wetware, electrochemical signals, and neurons become thoughts, consciousness, and personalities. I really want to learn as much as I can.

My psychology course has all of its reading/study material online and there are four modules. They really did a great job with the literature as it explains everything so well and is very fun and fascinating to read. I'm going to print it all off so I can have it to read later on.

Here are the questions recently asked in one of our assignments in my psychology course, and my answers to them. Tell me what y'all think of my answers. Are they okay? Or do they suck?:

Module Two: Foundations for Biological Functioning
1. Name the major neurotransmitters, identify what they do, and understand why they are important.
Answer: Neurotransmitters are chemicals released by the terminal buttons which carry signals between neurons by a chemical process in the nervous system. Since many neurotransmitters have been identified to harbor particular behavioral, cognitive, and emotional underpinnings, understanding the various neurotransmitters is important to understanding human behavior and experience, as well as understanding the effects of agonist or antagonist drugs on the brain. Acetylcholine is used in both the spinal cord and motor neurons which deal with muscle contraction regulation, and is also a key neurotransmitter in memory and sleep. Shortage of Acetylcholine has been associated with Alzheimer’s disease due to its effects on memory. For this reason, it is important to understand how the nervous system uses and produces this neurotransmitter. Dopamine is an important neurotransmitter which is associated with motivation and the emotional aspects related to it, as well as with learning. Many common disorders of the nervous system such as Parkinson’s disease and schizophrenia are attributed to excesses or shortages in dopamine, therefore dopamine plays a very important role in the health of the nervous system. Endorphins are neurotransmitters which are released after physical exertion and similar behaviors and activities. They are important because they naturally relieve pain and stress after vigorous activities. GABA neurotransmitters inhibit involuntary motor activity such as seizures, and are associated with relieving anxiety. Agonists of GABA are used to do just that, and understanding the function of these neurotransmitters is key to alleviating common issues related to the health of the nervous system. Glutamate is the nervous system’s most common neurotransmitter, and excesses of this neurotransmitter can lead to issues such as migraines and seizures. Serotonin is another very common neurotransmitter involved in daily human behavior such as appetite, sleep, and mood. Depression can be a result of low levels of serotonin, which makes serotonin levels in the nervous system a matter of great importance to overall health.
2. Identify and describe the structures and functions of the cerebral cortex, including the four lobes and two hemispheres.
Answer: The Cerebral Cortex is the part of an animal’s nervous system that determines the extent of the animal’s capacity for language, intelligence, and skills. The human cerebral cortex is a wrinkled structure containing tens of billions of nerve cells, hundreds of trillions of synaptic connections, and glial cells such as the myelin sheath which link to neurons like glue and provide them with nutrients. The Cerebral Cortex is composed of a left and right hemisphere, the former of which is responsible for controlling the right part of the body, and the latter of which is responsible for controlling the left part of the body. The Cerebral Cortex also contains four distinct lobes which are responsible for different sensory functions. The Frontal Lobe, responsible for thought, memory, and judgement, is located directly behind the forehead. Behind the Frontal Lobe is the Parietal Lobe, which is responsible for processing sensory information related to feeling and touch. The Occipital Lobe is located at the very back, and is responsible for processing visual sensory information. In front of the Occipital Lobe is the Temporal Lobe which processes audio and language information.
3. Identify the basic structures of a neuron, the function of each structure, and how messages travel through the neuron.
Answer: A neuron is comprised of a few basic structures which are responsible for different functions in the transmission of information. The Soma is the cell body containing the nucleus which protects the cell of the neuron. The Dendrite is a branching structure which is responsible for receiving information from other cells and transmitting the information to the Soma. The Axon performs a similar, yet slightly different, function than the Dendrite as it transmits the information away from the Soma to other cells, muscles, or glands. Dendrites are plentiful in neurons, and can branch quite extensively to receive information from other cells in the nervous system. An electrical charge initiates the transmission of information inside a neuron via an electrochemical process. The Dendrites collect the electrical signal and send it to the Soma—or cell body—in the same electrical signaling process. If the signal is sufficiently strong, it can then be transmitted to the Axon and eventually the Terminal Buttons, at which stage the Terminal Buttons will emit the signal via chemicals known as neurotransmitters, of which there are many different identified chemicals responsible for different functions. The Neurotransmitters then carry information across synapses to other neurons in the nervous system.
4. Describe the major parts of the nervous system and their functions.
Answer: The Nervous System is composed of several major parts. The Central Nervous System comprises the brain and the spinal cord, and is where the nervous system processes and interprets all sensory information, and is responsible for the person’s responses to this information. Alongside the CNS is the Peripheral Nervous System, which branches into the Automatic and Somatic Nervous Systems. The ANS is responsible for controlling internal bodily functions such as the organs and glands of the body, while the SNS is responsible for the external parts of the body such as skin and related parts. Two divisions of systems known as Sympathetic and Parasympathetic underpin the ANS. The two systems stand in contrast to one another as the Sympathetic system is responsible for preparing one to react to a threat or danger which can result in rapid heartbeat and expanded lungs, whereas the Parasympathetic system promotes calming from the effects of the Sympathetic.
5. Explain and define the concepts brain neuroplasticity, neurogenesis, and brain lateralization.
Answer: Neuroplasticity can be defined as the brain’s ability to change, create, or rewire neural connections to compensate for damages to the brain or new challenges and experiences. The idea of the brain being “plastic”, means that it can change its structure to adapt to changes in the brain or changes in what the brain experiences, like a brain tumor or taking on a new learning challenge. Neurogenesis is the brain’s process of creating new neurons, as opposed to regenerating or repairing existing ones. This process in the brain can promote the rebuilding of the overall brain, and understanding how this process works can aid researchers in formulating methods of promoting the formation of these new neurons via neurogenesis. Brain Lateralization can be defined as the understanding that the two hemispheres of the brain are especially predisposed to control different functions in the brain. The two hemispheres are connected by the Corpus Callosum, and each have distinct functions attributed to them. Split-brain patients—patients who have had their Corpus Callosum severed—provide conclusive evidence of Brain-Lateralization, as the disconnection between the hemispheres does not allow for the transfer of information between the two.
6. Describe the major classes of psychoactive drugs, and identify what classes individual drugs belong in.
Answer: There are four major classes of psychoactive drugs. Stimulants are those which cause an increase in energy and alertness, and have a history of being heavily prescribed to patients with complications ranging from asthma to obesity, with their frequency of prescription decreasing considerably in more recent years. Depressants are psychoactive drugs that lower the activity of the brain, and are often used as tranquilizers or to relieve anxiety and treat sleep disorders. Opioids are pain-relieving drugs. Morphine and Oxycodone are commonly prescribed pain-relievers, and belong to the Opioid class of drugs. Hallucinogens are a form of psychoactive drug that cause a vastly altered state of perception and hallucinations. LSD and DMT fit under the umbrella of Hallucinogens.
7. Identify the structures of the eye and describe the function of each. Determine those structures of the eye that cause nearsightedness and farsightedness.
Answer: There are several structures in the eye which serve distinct functions. The light being received by the eye enters first through the Cornea, a thin, transparent layer which covers the eye, protecting it and focusing in on the light being received. The Pupil is the small hole or opening in the middle of the eye, which is the next part to receive the incoming light. The Iris envelopes the Pupil and is responsible for expanding or contracting based on the intensity of the incoming light. The Lens is the structure that turns the focus of the light onto the Retina after the light has been received by the Pupil. The Retina contains photoreceptor cells. As mentioned earlier, the Lens is responsible focusing the incoming light onto the retina, and if the Lens performs this function properly, it will result in normal vision. When a person is Nearsighted, distant objects that are viewed will focus at too far a distance in front of the Retina, resulting in Nearsightedness. Conversely, when distant objects are focused at too far a distance behind the Retina it will result in what is known as Farsightedness. Both conditions are the result of a relationship between the Retina and the Lens, and are correctable.
8. Describe the gate-control theory of pain. Explain why the theory of pain is complicated.
Answer: The Gate-Control theory posits that two types of nerve fibers in the spinal cord underpin and determine the pain we experience. One of these types of nerve fibers are smaller and are responsible for transmitting pain that is experienced from the body to the brain. The other is a larger type of nerve fibers, and can start or end pain when activated. The experience of pain is complicated because pain can have differing effects based on the perception of the person experiencing the pain in the particular moment or situation. For instance, people involved in vigorous athletic activity may not feel pain until they have discontinued the activity because of the various experiences taking place at the time, their perception, and the endorphins they are releasing. There are many other situations in which pain may be felt more or less extensively, such as pain experienced during laughter or when focus is turned to something else, perhaps more important overall. Pain can be worsened if the person’s mood or state of mind is one of depression or frustration. The experience of pain is made complicated by the many factors that determine the level of pain one may experience in various situations.
9. Describe the different levels of sleep that occur during a normal night, and know the characteristics of each phase. In addition, discuss the Disorders of Sleep.
Answer: In the time between being awake and the relaxed period just before sleep begins, the brain goes from a state of beta waves to a state of slower alpha waves. As the person approaches the N1 stage of sleep, their brain activity continues to slow down, eventually becoming theta waves, and their awareness of their environment, as well as their muscle activity begins to wane and diminish. Shortly after the N1 stage, the stage which comprises the majority of the time spent asleep in humans—the N2 stage—begins. This stage is a more robust version of N1, wherein the majority of muscle activity, as well as all of the person’s awareness of their environment is lost. The N3 stage is the deepest of all of the sleep stages. In this stage, the person can experience sleep abnormalities such as sleepwalking. Also worth noting is that awareness of the outside world never fully diminishes, even in the N3 stage, and the ability to process sensory information such as sounds, smells, or touch is not lost. The Rapid Eye Movement (REM) stage of sleep is usually achieved after about 90 minutes in the N3 stage, wherein the individual experiences increased heart rate and rapid movement of eyes which underpins the name. Dreams in REM sleep are usually more pronounced, and dreams are much more frequently reported in people awakened from REM sleep than other stages. Before waking up, several REM stages occur, and the brain’s waves continue to increase to the point of alpha waves just before waking up reinvigorated from a long sleep.
10. Explain the study of pheromones in your online text and the provided video. Do you believe in the influence of pheromones Why? or why not.?
Answer: Pheromones are a known phenomenon in nature which are used by a myriad of species as a means of interaction with other species members. Insects use pheromones for communication extensively, and mammals also use pheromones for a variety of purposes. There is some evidence that human females also excrete pheromones which have been tied to eliciting synchronous menstrual processes in women living together. It has also been speculated that pheromones in humans are also used in mating. The video in the study material which followed the experimentation of two youngish to middle-aged women attempting to attract male mates via a pheromone product provided some discourse on the matter. Using scientific skepticism, and acknowledging my own ignorance to the body of knowledge that has been obtained from studying human pheromones, I remain dubious of the conclusion that the use of these pheromones is successful in attracting mates. The caveat I must insert is that my position is not the negative assertion that the pheromones are not used in humans as a form of sexual attraction. Rather, I am simply adhering to the default position of being unconvinced of the positive assertion that the pheromones do have a bearing on human sexual attraction. The evidence on offer from the video appears anecdotal, and does appear to possess the characteristics of a legitimate, peer-reviewed, scientific study. Also, the literature on pheromones which is contained in the study material does not appear to address the link between human sexual attraction and pheromones.

Generally, you have a very good grasp of the subject with additional notes on the following:

#2-Perhaps a little more detail regarding the functional nature of the cortex overall and its various lobes. Regarding the function lobe, a bit more regarding executive functions.

#6-Actually, stimulants use and prescription are rising as a result of the rise of ADHD (e.g., Adderall).

#9-More detail on the disorders of sleep other than sleepwalking.

Generally, you have a very good grasp of the subject with additional notes on the following:

#2-Perhaps a little more detail regarding the functional nature of the cortex overall and its various lobes. Regarding the function lobe, a bit more regarding executive functions.

#6-Actually, stimulants use and prescription are rising as a result of the rise of ADHD (e.g., Adderall).

#9-More detail on the disorders of sleep other than sleepwalking.

Thanks. I knew it wasn't perfect, but at least it was pretty good.