Hello, new and have a math question!

painchri589

Hello I'm heading into grade 10 in September (I really hope there is no age requirement...) and I adore science and math! Languages are cool too, I especially love English and French (the only two languages I speak, I live in Canada) ANYWAYS, as a 10th grader to be, I'm kind of an outcast, because, I can recite the periodic table (and do often, SCIENCE!), love math, and speak French fluently. But, hey, who cares? It's better than what some kids my age are doing :/.

ONTO THE QUESTION! I'm wondering if you could help me depict the (average) size of this jar. I know, it's weird. However, you'll notice that the jar is filled with gummy worms. Yes. That's what I'm doing. But I want to be the closest to win the prize even though that prize is virtual currency for my video game

So, without further ado, here is the jar! I know how to calculate volume and such, I just cant estimate/visualize the size of the jar. Thanks in advance! Don't even know if this is possible but hey, thanks!

post-119643-0-54873100-1470697414_thumb.jpg

post-119643-0-70398200-1470697425_thumb.jpg

More about me: I'm grade 10-to-be, I do titrations and the ideal gas law for fun (PV=nRT for the win!), I recite the periodic table because I can so why not? Etc. I feel somewhat inferior here though, you'll be talking about vector and stuff, and I don't even how to explain y=ax^2+bx+c. I mean, I know it's the standard formula for a parabola, but I technically didn't take it yet.

Do you have this jar in your hand?

Are you interested in jar volume inside space, or total.. ?

Remove temporarily gummy worms. Put on weighing scale, reset it. Fill jar by water. Read weight. Density of water is 1 g/cm3. So 1 g = 1 cm3.

f.e. if you have 800 grams, it means inside volume is approximately 800 cm3.

If you're interested in total volume use Archimedes' principle.

From math point of view: jar looks like having equal two sides,

volume of box is V=a*b*c,

but b=c,

so

V=a*b*b

(not pretty accurate, as your jar has slightly rounded corners)

If you don't have jar, and simply can't measure width,height,depth,

You could estimate proportions from image, by counting pixels in some painting application (they usually show length of line). And then do adjustment for perspective distortion.

Photoshop has such option to distort image in perspective, which could be reversed to turn perspective view to flat front side view.

Edited by Sensei

!

Moderator Note

Off-topic hijack regarding sound waves and headphone volume split off into the Trash. The topic here is "heading into grade 10" and the "volume of a jar"! I'm blaming English for this one.

I would leave from there until any part of my wide scientific project be submitted to any good association..

I would remind or would express my own opinion (if it is personal opinion ,..,but we know that some great scientists already showed this ) that

at the top of science almost every subject will be in relation between each them...

about english skill : ets TOEFL reported me that I have had very good understanding grammatical structure...

care only the content of my posts please ,I already may detect the faults which are linguistic

I think I have genuine ,but I also confess that I have careless personality in such subjects.. :)

and I definitely don't like making someone repeat or to repeat something ... (!)

but of course ,until the evidence of knowledge be certified, you are right for your this critique..

Edited by blue89

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have this jar in your hand?

Are you interested in jar volume inside space, or total.. ?

Remove temporarily gummy worms. Put on weighing scale, reset it. Fill jar by water. Read weight. Density of water is 1 g/cm3. So 1 g = 1 cm3.

f.e. if you have 800 grams, it means inside volume is approximately 800 cm3.

If you're interested in total volume use Archimedes' principle.

Or, if the problem is to estimate the number of gummy worms in the jar, find the weight of the jar with gummy worms in it, temporarily remove gummy worms, find the weight of jar without gummy worms. Subtract to find weight of gummy worms. Weigh one gummy worm and divide weight of all gummy worms by weight of one gummy worm.

Or, my personal preference: Remove temporarily gummy worms. Count ​gummy worms while you have them out of the jar!