Forget things?

AxoNbaNd

Many people are asking how to remember easily things...I would like to know if is it possible to make our brain forget things...How? And would this allow me to have more ''space'' to remember other things? Or would it be possible to make our brain forget only a certain kind of memories for ex. what we saw and not what we heard or how we felt?

Thank you:)

If you find a way, let me know, there is plenty I want to unremember. :)

Memories are not stored like whole photographs in a box. Different details of memories are stored in different parts of the brain, so it's not currently possible to target specific memories for the shredder.

Many people are asking how to remember easily things...I would like to know if is it possible to make our brain forget things...How? And would this allow me to have more ''space'' to remember other things? Or would it be possible to make our brain forget only a certain kind of memories for ex. what we saw and not what we heard or how we felt?

There are no limits to memory that would require erasure to provide "more space." Barring injury, illness, or genetic factors, you can add as many new memories as you desire. However, certain pharmaceuticals are effective against iterative thoughts and hypnosis has been very effective in altering the content and context of certain memories.

Soccer. Football. Alcohol. Sex. Drugs. Senility (getting older). Lobotomy.

-----------

More seriously, if you read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes from the book (not the TV serie), the hero has a theory about memory that goes the way you are asking. But it is a novel, I doubt it works in real life. (I don't remember in which of the many stories)

--------

A Study in Scarlet http://literature.org/authors/doyle-arthur-conan/study-in-scarlet/part-01/chapter-02.html

http://www.sherlockholmes-fan.com/sherlock-holmes-trivia.html

Edited by michel123456

So why don't we have memories from when we were very little or from when we wern't born at all? Wasn't our brain able to make long term memories? Or did we forget?

My earliest memory is from when I was about 2 years old. Some people claim to have memories of being born and some claim memories of experiences in the womb; however, memory isn't always an automatic process or as simple as it seems. Long term memories requires effort, reinforcement, and are dependent on a memorable experience's impact on our life and survival long term.

• 3 weeks later...