Trouble at Turkish universities

ajb

The revenge of Prime Minister Binali Yildirim is worrying. We have seen this kind of action before throught history - chop off the heads of those who can think for themsevles. Same of the purge of the armed forces. We have seen this before...

"More than 1,500 university deans have also been ordered to resign and the licences of 21,000 teachers working at private institutions revoked."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36838347

Goodbye democracy. Hello Islamic rule. I think what we are seeing now is a concerted consolidation of Erdogan's power. But, at the end of the day, that way is being chosen by the majority it seems.

This is the worry... others have done similar things in the past to keep their position. A good example is the near civil war here in Poland after WWII.

What happened ? Did the Polish communist party that existed before the war take the side of the Soviets against other Polish who opposed them ?

Were the pro Soviet side substantial in number or did they prevail solely by virtue of their Big Brother?

I hope I have a decent understanding of the general situation that prevailed then..

This is the first time I have come across a failed military coup d'etat being a precursor to purges in civil society.

Is it a bit like what happened in Russia? ("purges" is certainly a term I would associate with that time)

What happened ? Did the Polish communist party that existed before the war take the side of the Soviets against other Polish who opposed them ?

Details are for another thread... but essentially the communist party - Polish run but set up by Moscow - made sure that those who could put an argument together why Poland should not be communist were got rid of. The same happened to the Polish Free Army that fought the Germans, many were got rid of.

Edited by ajb

I read an inside account of what Erdogan is capable of a while ago; he's a fully paid-up Putin type politician. If I can find it again I'll link to it. Bear in mind, that although his behaviour is beyond the pale here in the West, I think it's pretty normal your end of the world that you reside in at the moment; being like the West politically are just faltering aspirations atm aren't they? Corruption, nepotism and old boys networks are still an integral part of most the world's political landscape.

Edited by StringJunky

Sometimes I think that a time machine that could take you to the future would be a very bad idea, it becomes more apparent everyday all we would find is a medieval world ruled by religion and the technology to make sure it could never change...

Sometimes I think that a time machine that could take you to the future would be a very bad idea, it becomes more apparent everyday all we would find is a medieval world ruled by religion and the technology to make sure it could never change...

Eh, don't think it makes too much of a difference. Deep down we are still apes, even with fancy toys.

If they have an Islamic government, that means they will be peaceful, so everything will be okay.

Turkey (Ottoman Empire)

used to be islamic,

and war with everybody around was their the most liked joy..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_Ottoman_Empire

Have you heard about Battle of Vienna @ 1683 ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna

I am not. How could turkey under Islamic rule not be peaceful. Islam is the religion of peace.

What happened? You used to make arguments to support your position. Lately you've resorted to the equivalent of asking someone to pull your finger.

What happened? You used to make arguments to support your position. Lately you've resorted to the equivalent of asking someone to pull your finger.

Hard to be reasonable when conservatism is being used to justify so much evil in the world today. For those who identify as conservatives, it must be sort of shocking to witness and realize these are your people. These folks who want to mix church and state need to be stopped pretty quickly, imo.

I am not. How could turkey under Islamic rule not be peaceful. Islam is the religion of peace.

Just like Christianity- especially during the crusades.

It seems to me to be better to focus on what's bing done, rather than the ""label" it is done under.

"...firing of nearly 8,800 policemen, and the arrests of 6,000 soldiers, 2,700 judges and prosecutors, dozens of governors, and more than 100 generals – or just under one-third of the general corps".

It looks like the country really is going to shoot itself in the foot here.

To me, the lesson to keep is that the lists were ready. IOW the work of the secret service is not only to spy over other countries, it is also to spy over its own people. It is also quite remarkable that a part of the secret service has been purged, which means that the secret service is spying itself.

The second lesson is that these kind of lists exist everywhere, not only in Turkey.

So, people of the Internet, beware.