Mother Board looses power? Fan's old -- it stops!

1veedo

Ok, my computer is f'd up. When I turn it on, it runs for a while (maybe 2 minuits, sometimes 30 seconds) and then just stops. The monitor turns black and the CPU fan stops running. My guess is that the motherboard is not gettign power becasue the HD's still run and the CD drive still works. It's almost like the computer turned off except that things are still buzing in there. Just not my fan.

I've confirmed that it's not software level. At first, before I opened it up, I thought it was but when I was in the install wizard for FC3 it did it again. It also does this when I boot into my unfinished gentoo (I dont think I can get gentoo to work...).

I really need this computer back. If you try to goto my website, I can assrue you that it's not there :-(

So any ideas?

I'm just going now, I will think about it and post tomorrow...

Remember an emergancy option can always be to physically transfer the HDD itself to another computer and copying data over that way.

I was actually thinking of swaping the HD in this computer for the two in my other. By the end of today I at least need one hooked up in the secondary slot. The only problem is that

a) I need to read extended partitions (no big, though)

b) Read the Linux formating language (again, no big)

But I still want the other computer up. Plus my dad seems to like Windows. If only I would've put everything on one disk. But no: SWAP , /home, and /usr on diferent HD's makes Linux run faster :rolleyes:

I have knoppix though, so as long as my /files partition is in this computer I can easily put up my web server and do everything I normally need to do.

thats pretty trippy... the motherboard shutting down should cause the rest of it to stop too... the mobo controls the rest of that crap. the closest i have ever had was just that my comp would have to kick start its self. it would start, then stop, then start for a little longer, then stop, then a little longer, etc.

i had a bad powersupply, no idea what your problem could be though.

Well, there is no "central control" to my computer. And indeed the keyboard and minitor turn off. By "still on," I mean still getting power. My CD drive will not open but it has a red light and will play a CD inside it; also, the volume works for headphones.

I was also suprised that holding the power button turned it off. I always thought the power button sent a signal to the motherboard; apparently it goes to the power supply?

I found some stuff relating to my problem: It all has to do w/ the CPU.

http://www.devhardware.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41670&page=1&pp=15

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=18292

Both problems are not exactally like mine and google ansers doesnt provide a fix. it is the posters after the google dude that seem to be of some help.

Subject: Re: Computer shuts itself OFF

Have you checked your processor fan? Many computers will

automatically shut down if the processor fan stops. Could be a sign

of your fan getting ready to give up. It's a $5 part, easily

replaced, and certainly worth a look.

If metal screws instead of plastic ones were used to mount your

motherboard to your computer case, that might be your problem. The

screws are usually very close to some of the wiring on your

motherboard, and if they touch, it may give too much "ground", and

reboot your computer.

Is the sun shining on the computer? You can check the CPU temperature

by starting and going into the bios.

Is the power cable slightly loose?

Did you check your power saving settings?

Maybe buying a new power supply solves the problem? Maybe ask the guy

in the shop and bring with you your computer specifications.

It could also be the reset button is a bit broken.

Do you have virus protection software installed?

Are some cards loosely connected?

I'm goign to check into it more when my dad gets back.

But again, this isnt exactally my problem. I think the "metal screw, ""bad fan connection," or "bad circuit" could be to blaim. Possibly even thinking it's too hot though I dobt it. It would follow that after setting the computer would run longer. This is not the case; it halts when the fan is "powering up;" it gets loud because you're loading the OS or entered the BIOS.

When I put a grub floopy or this other bootloader I use for CD/HD boots it will sit there forever and NOT stop. I think it's because I never hear the fan start spinning load.

sounds like your 12 volt line is faulty but your 5 volt is working.

any chance you can pop the lid off and test the Black and Yellow wires for power after this problem occurs, it should read 12v before the problem and possibly nothing afterwards. the Red and Black is your 5V line and I suspect it`ll be ok.

just a thought :)

After looking at my motherboard I discovered everythign is melted. My board is just fried.

Do you think runnign Linux could make things melt and stop working? It's an emachines. I left FC3 running for the past 3 months before my system quit on me.

And my dad is getting a new emachines instead of

a) Letting me build one (and not pay greedy M$ $200)

b) Get a new motherboard for the system

Oh well. Too bad it wasnt just the fan, although I think it had a problem because the areas that look bad are right around the CPU!

I ahve head that desktop comptuers aren't made for servers? I don't get much trafic but I never turn it off.

After looking at my motherboard I discovered everythign is melted. My board is just fried.

Do you think runnign Linux could make things melt and stop working? It's an emachines. I left FC3 running for the past 3 months before my system quit on me.

And my dad is getting a new emachines instead of

a) Letting me build one (and not pay greedy M$ $200)

b) Get a new motherboard for the system

Oh well. Too bad it wasnt just the fan' date=' although I think it had a problem because the areas that look bad are right around the CPU![/quote']

are you saying your CPU fan was stopping? did the computer keep on running?? cause yeah, thatll fry stuff up real goodly like. a processor will overheat in a matter of seconds if left on its own. intel procs shut off automatically when this happens. what kind were you using?

Only latest edition P4s will auto-shut off when they overheat.

I think someone just learnt why computer fans exist!

Tell your dad it'd be cheaper and better quality to build your own computer... and it is!

I tried: And I'll show him this thread.

I'm back in Linux though. I must say, Windows sucks. Really, really bad. I put the entire case that holds both my HDs into a newer model of emachines. Instead of unscrewing each HD individually. This computer also has an unbeatible monitor! I mean, everything is just buitiful over here.

I'm going to temporarily put the windows HD back in my root hda and boot knoppix up to coppy all their files over. Maybe I can get my sis and dad to use this computer under Linux. My dad hates M$ but thinks Linux if for "computer geniuses." He seems to know more about the flaws in Windows then I do :P

So if I can make fstab auto-open konquorer when he puts in his camera card... He alread stores all his files on this computer because the Windows NTFS partition isn't the best in the world. Plus if windows stoped working, the fix is to reformat :eek: