Synthesis of Purple Gold!!??

Sorsor_7

A while ago, I heard of purple gold. It wasnt till an hour ago I found out it wasnt an alloy but the intermetallic compound of Gold Aluminate (AuAl2) But I was wondering.... How can I make this!

post-116368-0-32730300-1468045634.png

post-116368-0-57535000-1468045742_thumb.jpg

post-116368-0-95847000-1468045836.jpeg

Edited by Sorsor_7

It's not gold aluminate it might be a gold aluminide. It may well be an aluminium auride.

It's probably best to think of it as an alloy, rather than a compound.

If you melt the two metals together in a vacuum furnace you can get that purple alloy.
It's very brittle + not a practical material for most jewellery.

It's not gold aluminate it might be a gold aluminide. It may well be an aluminium auride.

If you melt the two metals together in a vacuum furnace you can get that purple alloy.

Yeah sorry i forgot it is AuAl2, Gold Aluminide. So where do i get a vacuum furnace?

You ca

Oh jeezus 24 thousand dollars... Can I make one?

You can build whatever you like.

At the end, if it will be working, you could... sell them for $24k per unit.. ;)

Probably you will earn plentiful more than on "purple gold".

Edited by Sensei

But I suppose I could do the same with gold and indium to make blue gold right?

• 1 month later...

As a jeweler I have made both of those. However the hue of blue for a gold/indium alloy is fairly light, if you're looking for a deeper blue, you may wish to mix the gold with iron and then heat treat it. Also for casting of the purple gold, it is extremely brittle, so I wouldn't make an entire ring out of it if I were you, unless you are fine with it potentially shattering on you, kinda like how hematite does. Do note too that most of these colors are gained when making the purity around 22 to 18k and all the ones I've made have been used for inlay and accent to other metals.

For immediate casting, you're gonna want to do it in an inert environment, I'd recommend argon, it's what I use, along with an induction or electric arc forge. You can find instructions on YouTube for making the forge, simple set up and design. I've got one built on the inside of a rocking table with a bell jar in place for my electric arc casting chamber. Only costed about 1500 to build give or take. I'm actually in the midst of attempting to create a true red gold for the same purpose as the other colored variants. I'll be producing black gold within two months, you all are more than welcome to follow my progress, just send me a pm I'll link ya where it's gonna be. :)

• 4 years later...