Can you calculate the average Winrate

You run a popular weekly poker game and a late cancellation has left you with a seat to fill

You ask a friend visiting from out of town if he would like to play. He has played poker but doesn't want to be out classed as a moderately skilled player, so he asks you what the average win rate is for all of the players in the game.

The players have allowed you keep detailed win/loss records which you share with all of your players.

The game is fed by a player pool of 50 semi-regular players they each have a wide variety of hours in the game, and buy-ins cover the range. Assume all normal distributions. And 30 hand per hour

The game has run without fail for two years at an average of 7 hours per week. Do you have enough information to provide an accurate answer for your friend?

Show your work.

Yes,

My working involved thinking about it over a cup of tea and a cup of coffee.

So I take that to mean you know the answer.

Just curious about what you thought of it. This is my first original logic riddle.

It came to me when playing poker and I asked then answered my own question when talking to another player.

I just thought of a better delivery for the riddle which would spoil it if I changed it here. Maybe I'll try it out on the 2+2 forums :)

Edited by TakenItSeriously

Answer:

The average win rate for the entire group of players is exactly 0. Any money lost by one player is money won by another player.

Another way to look at it, at the end of the night after all players cash in their chips, the bank ends up at 0, if the average winnings for the session was positive, the bank would have to be short, if the average winnings for the session was negative the bank would be over.

Average win rate for all the players [latex]\neq[/latex] Average win rate for the group as a whole

I thought for sure, I put "all of the players in the group" for the question. Sorry about the miscommunication. Editor has been acting funky, maybe an edit didnt go through.

Actually I thought I changed it to read "average win-rate for the group", but clearly the submission didn't go through, maybe I hit the preview button by accident and logged out.? idk

I had it as "game" at first thinking all players would be like 9 regulars, but realized it wouldn't work for a player sitting out so I expanded it to a group. I know I at least was thinking to make sure to change the original question. I cant recall specifically what happened. It could have just been a senior moment. Sorry again, it's embarrassing.

From now on, I'll edit posts in an offline editor and clip it into the site's editor after its been proofread.

Sod it.if I ever get the spoiler tags to work I will offer an explanation

You can clip these:

Edited by TakenItSeriously