Light

Yvtq8k3n

What is sound?

Sound is a vibration, basicaly an wave.

What is light?

What i found about ligth is that it can be an wave or particle. However couldnt conclude which of those is, maybe both?

As u know we can block sound by creating an counter have.

So my question is, can we create an counter wave in order to nullify the light?

What is light?

What i found about ligth is that it can be an wave or particle. However couldnt conclude which of those is, maybe both?

You can treat it as an electromagnetic wave (the classical view) or as photons (the quantum view). These are just two different descriptions of the same thing.

So my question is, can we create an counter wave in order to nullify the light?

Yes, although not as easily as with sound because the wavelength is much shorter so the phase and timing needs to be much more accurate. It is much easier to just use an opaque material.

At the simplest level this is the basis of interference which is very widely used. For example, the LIGO instrument used to detect gravitational waves is a large inteferometer.

The big difference between light and all other waves is that all other waves require a real external medium to propagate in.

Light waves carry their own medium with them or alternatively create the 'medium' as they go along.

This means that for other waves there is a real something to push against that is not the wave itself.

In the case of sound this something is the air.

So another agent that can push against the air can push the air molecules in exactly the right way to counter the wave.

For light there is no 'third party' involved in the interference and, as Strange notes, it is very very difficult to create another light wave of exactly the right frequency and phase to counter a given one.

Until the advent of lasers this could only be done by using the original light ray itself

By splitting it into two parts and changing the phase of one part and then recombining the two parts destructive interference can be caused.

This is used in engineering to measure small thicknesses of transparent things like glass and oil or chemical films / coatings etc.

it is very very difficult to create another light wave of exactly the right frequency and phase to counter a given one.

It's not that hard. You can split a laser beam in two, and have the two beams interfere.

Light waves carry their own medium with them or alternatively create the 'medium' as they go along.

Can you please clarify what you mean by, "carry their own medium" and "create the medium as they go along"? I read this to mean that light waves propagate outward in a bootstrapping fashion where the next instance is generated by the prior - is this a reference to the photon? If so, then does that mean that movement of a photon is caused by the prior location of said proton?

Can you please clarify what you mean by, "carry their own medium" and "create the medium as they go along"? I read this to mean that light waves propagate outward in a bootstrapping fashion where the next instance is generated by the prior - is this a reference to the photon? If so, then does that mean that movement of a photon is caused by the prior location of said proton?

+1 for providing a model or example format when querying someone's post.

:)

The one thing I did not mean to imply is that a flux of photons constitutes a wave.

Remember that this thread concerns the wave theory of light so my response was in those terms.

The wave theory regards light as two connected fields, an electric one and a magnetic one.

It does not address specific corspuscular properties also possessed by light, that are best described in terms of corpuscles (photons).

The idea behind my phraseology is that a lightwave comprises a series of periodically varying electric fields, which generate varying magnetic fields, which generate vary electric fields as the lightwave moves along.

These fields do not exist at a particular point, before the lightwave arrives there and cease to exist there after the lightwave has passed.

It is in that sense that the lightwave carries its own medium, the fields are the 'medium'.

Does this help?

hi,

I think there are some problems and these makes more difficult to find/explore something and also to use efficacies of them.

for instance , we always may accept/(assume) studying at region which has no friction.

but this is not so easy to create it. and in my opinion ; differences between the acceptance(assumption) and reality frequently cause troubles.I am sure this criterion will change the results too much effectively.

Edited by blue89

I came up whit this ideia and i would like to know if it is possible.

TelylFB.png

Unfortunaly it is in 2d but i hope you guys can understand.

We have 2 projecters one projects the image and the other will project the "counter" image.

So may question is, what would happen?

(In order to make it more easy u can think the projecters as lasers)

Edited by Yvtq8k3n

"carry their own medium"

"create the medium as they go along"?

light waves propagate outward in a bootstrapping fashion where the next instance is generated by the prior

This is exactly the kind of "explanation" you should neglect and avoid. Thinking at that will bring you nothing. Go straight to the proper decription of light, with electric and magnetic fields, and with photons: it's less abstract than this kind of philosophical descriptions, and it works.

I think if you send light down a blackhole you might nullify it. Depending on the frequency you could filter it with special optics, entirely nullifying it with a counter beam is unprobable due to the neccesity of knowing its exact waveĺength and originating coordinates for its path. If you hit at any other angle then you would displace the energy not nullify it.

Regards.

Edited by DevilSolution

I think if you send light down a blackhole you might nullify it. Depending on the frequency you could filter it with special optics, entirely nullifying it with a counter beam is unprobable due to the neccesity of knowing its exact waveĺength and originating coordinates for its path. If you hit at any other angle then you would displace the energy not nullify it.

Regards.

No.