Unity

fiveworlds

I started to learn the unity game engine a few days ago and learned about making terrain. I wanted to put a cave through the big hill on the left to a beach. But I can't seem to find any method of doing it without using a "paid" asset.

WzFCI1h.png?1

the game looks cool - what platforms is it on? Is it like populous or civilisation? I love strategy games like that.

Unity is a game engine with which one makes games. It's like Unreal Engine 4. They aren't games themselves. You use them inconjunction with C++, C#, or Bluprint to construct a game. While they are free* programs, they are industry standards. You could use them to make computer games, tablet games, or console games.

*if you commercially distribute the game, the engine companies get a cut of your profits

I started to learn the unity game engine a few days ago and learned about making terrain. I wanted to put a cave through the big hill on the left to a beach. But I can't seem to find any method of doing it without using a "paid" asset.

WzFCI1h.png?1

If you can't figure out how to do it inside Unity, you could always build the cave in Blender and import your meshes.

the game looks cool - what platforms is it on? Is it like populous or civilisation? I love strategy games like that.

You'd probably like forged alliance forever so.

If you can't figure out how to do it inside Unity, you could always build the cave in Blender and import your meshes.

Cool I already know blender.

*if you commercially distribute the game, the engine companies get a cut of your profits

This is true however unity clearly states that they don't charge royalties in their faq https://unity3d.com/unity/faq

# Nevermind my graphics card crashed seems running unity's direct x11 on a direct x9 graphics card was a bit too much and I got a blue screen of death.

Edited by fiveworlds

In 3D geometry editor you could try bevel tool (or extrude/extender with move tool),

select polygon, or couple polygons.

but instead of making "positive" mesh,

try opposite direction,

then repeat it couple times. Make the same method branches.

The same method could be used to make tree (but offset positive).

Alternative method: make cave mesh,

and subtract one object from other object, boolean operation on 2 meshes.

Edited by Sensei

• 3 weeks later...

I have some experience with Unity back a few years ago. The physics is cool where you can program with c# or javascript. I find the hardest part is actually building the models with something like Cinema 4D

P.S. Never seems to have enough modelers

Edited by fredreload

I find the hardest part is actually building the models with something like Cinema 4D

Models you should order from the real 3D artists..

There are special websites such as

https://www.freelancer.com/work/auction-website-graphic-design/1/

http://oferia.pl

Make exact description of what you want, and budget you have, and people will tell you how much they want for doing the job (auction), giving their profile/portfolio for review their previous work.

Disallow "for renegotiation". But make exact requirement for every tiny detail of what you need.

Especially if you're programmer.

Programmers typically are very bad at gfx.

(look at websites made by programmers..)

In the past, there was something called "demo scene", (some would say, it's still)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoscene

people, thousands of people, doing programming, graphics, musics, were joining together,

to make "demos", "intros", "gfx", "msx".

People gathered together (thousands at the same time, the same place, in city, in some hall, often called "copy party" as everybody were copying on diskettes other peoples work for review),

and showing their work, on contest.

The all people were voting. At the end, the winners, were receiving prizes.

I have been on dozen such multi thousands demoscene people events.

In some of them, made some little contribution.

Edited by Sensei

That's where I got my cryptolocker virus.

Models you should order from the real 3D artists..

Indie game developers don't really have that as an option a lot of the time. Even people that work for big corporations could lose their job tomorrow and wind up making games to pay rent. You could pay a lot for models.

• 3 weeks later...