84 replies to this topic

#81 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,388 posts
  • LocationStonehouse, Gloucestershire.

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

A very scholarly friend told me at an office Christmas party last night about a thesis he wrote while at university. In it, he presented the idea that God kept Heaven's gates open, and that all people were invited in the afterlife. God Himself imposes no strictures. He can allow suffering, because everyone is allowed into Heaven. 

The twist is, Heaven is so awesome to behold, so perfectly meant to be the afterlife of humanity, that when you stand in front of the open gates, you judge yourself to be worthy or not. If you've been a decent and loving person, you'll have no problem allowing yourself to walk on in. And if you aren't a good person, you won't be able to inflict yourself on Heaven, no matter what. Instead, you'll stand at the gates of Heaven, unable to go in until you deem yourself ready. You'll be outside open gates, BURNING with the desire to enter rightfully. 

I thought this perspective offers interesting answers to some questions that have long plagued the Abrahamic religions.

I think it means both are here and now, and illustrates how, at a deeper level when we're honest with ourselves, and we ALL know what level I'm talking about. Only when we can forgive ourselves shall we know peace, the location is immaterial. 

I say 'we' because it's not just about forgiving oneself. 

Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am.... -John Donne.

WARNING ...Participation in topics I start can seriously affect you’re grades... WARNING

#82 Velocity_Boy

Velocity_Boy

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationA place that used to be Mexico...

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:56 AM

Use this thread to share your personal beliefs so we can build on each other and improve our own theories- Here's mine I am a Catholic and believe in an all powerful all knowing ever present perfect and infinite God I believe that all of existence is a result of Gods actions "thoughts" and words I believe you can go forever in forever out forever up forever down forever right and forever left in anything

Atheist.

Recovering Catholic.

I sometimes believe there is a slight possibility of a Deist God. That is a non personal Universal Intelligence, one that does not intervene in human affairs. But however can be tapped into for guidance and intuition if our minds are in the requisite mode.

Philosophically, I am a devout Epicurean. Enjoy this life, because it it the only one we can be sure to have. And boy is it short!

I do not believe there are any absolute morals. They are all subjective to culture. And, since I be!Idve in ET intelligence .....They're subjective of course to different worlds.

Politically..... Independent, and ten to lean a bit to the Right. As does most of the Nation.

Thank you!!!!

#83 ProgrammingGodJordan

ProgrammingGodJordan

Quark

• Senior Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationJamaica

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:11 AM

SXRniwT.jpg

...that beliefs are not essential?

For example, insects, bacteria don't believe...

"Non beliefism" is probably atheism's successor. ("Non beliefism" = Atheism minus Theism)
I am the creator/founder of "non beliefism":
http://nonbeliefism.com

I am a casual body-builder & software engineer:

"facebook.com/ProgrammingGodJordan"

#84 Strange

Strange

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 11,892 posts
  • Location珈琲店

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

What if I told you

I would say: "Thanks for stating the bleeding obvious."

#85 Velocity_Boy

Velocity_Boy

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationA place that used to be Mexico...

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:55 PM

SXRniwT.jpg

Obviously they are not for lower life forms with smaller brains and lower levels of consciousness than us homo sapien sapiens. But what if I told you that more than a few psychiatrists and neurologists believe that we are hardwired to believe in God? And that such belief is a by product of our evolved brains? Albeit, some of those atheist neurologists would term it an undesirable by product. This, of our minds obsession with seeking reasons and patterns.
Even when, alas, there are none.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users