• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimate Infinity

Ultimate Infinity

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:46 AM

Use this thread to share your personal beliefs so we can build on each other and improve our own theories- Here's mine I am a Catholic and believe in an all powerful all knowing ever present perfect and infinite God I believe that all of existence is a result of Gods actions "thoughts" and words I believe you can go forever in forever out forever up forever down forever right and forever left in anything

#2 iNow

iNow

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 17,106 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:07 AM

That's not a theory. Maybe a belief or even a conjecture (though much more like an unfounded assumption and unsupportable absent of any evidence or even the possibility of being validated claim).

#3 Endy0816

Endy0816

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:38 AM

I believe in a giant Flying Spaghetti Monster. Free flowing alcohol and companionship await you. Obviously many afterlives offer similar amenities, so it is best to comparison shop before making a final decision.

#4 Moontanman

Moontanman

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 9,505 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern North Carolina

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:56 AM

Use this thread to share your personal beliefs so we can build on each other and improve our own theories- Here's mine I am a Catholic and believe in an all powerful all knowing ever present perfect and infinite God I believe that all of existence is a result of Gods actions "thoughts" and words I believe you can go forever in forever out forever up forever down forever right and forever left in anything

Well at least now we know what you believe, can you give us any reason you believe these things? 

Life is the poetry of the Universe
Love is the poetry of life

You do not possess belief, belief possesses you...

I'm always open to new ideas, I just don't let them crawl into my skull and take a dump... 

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but illusion of knowledge.” — Stephen Hawking

"In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ~ thomas jefferson

Religion evaporates in the light of critical inquiry much like the morning dew in the light of the rising sun... 

Check out my YouTube channel here.

If I was helpful, let me know by clicking the [+] sign ->

#5 zapatos

zapatos

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 2,548 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:11 AM

What's the point? You've already said your mind is made up and you'll never change. (Pretty cynical for a 16 year old, IMO.)

This is a science forum populated with people who question everything in the hope of better understanding the world, and are willing to change their minds in the face of sufficient evidence. In the short time you've been here you've already refused to provide evidence or consider the point of view of others. For these types of discussions you'd be much better off on a forum where people all believe the same thing already and you can pat each other on the back for being so astute.

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. -MP

"As a good christian, I'm always going to disagree with any proof you try to give me." -Peter BE cimp

#6 Moontanman

Moontanman

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 9,505 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern North Carolina

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:23 AM

Damn, now I feel like a weiner... no I spelled it correctly... 

Edited by Moontanman, 30 June 2016 - 04:23 AM.

Life is the poetry of the Universe
Love is the poetry of life

You do not possess belief, belief possesses you...

I'm always open to new ideas, I just don't let them crawl into my skull and take a dump... 

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but illusion of knowledge.” — Stephen Hawking

"In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ~ thomas jefferson

Religion evaporates in the light of critical inquiry much like the morning dew in the light of the rising sun... 

Check out my YouTube channel here.

If I was helpful, let me know by clicking the [+] sign ->

#7 arc

arc

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 897 posts
  • LocationLand of volcanoes

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

Just to add to zapatos' great post;

Welcome to the SFN destructive testing laboratory. Where your ideas will be pounded into dust. 

What is destructive testing? definition and meaning

www.businessdictionary.com/definition/destructive-testing.html

Prolonged endurance testing under the most severe operating conditions, continued until the component, equipment, or product specimen fails (is broken or destroyed). The purpose of destructive testing is to determine service life and to detect design weaknesses that may not show up under normal working conditions.

If you proceed with the testing of your ideas here you will be required to back up your claims with verifiable evidence. This is how SFN compares to the destructive testing procedures described above. You will need to directly answer to the objections raised by the other members. The purpose of these objections is to expose every weakness that your idea has in an attempt to make it fail under its own lack of rigor. You will only have two options in this process, either correct the defects found or admit to its failure. If done correctly either result is satisfactory because the ultimate goal in all this is to find better models that describe the observable, and more importantly, testable world.

Ideas that are not testable are not suitable for scientific scrutiny. Are you sure your ideas are suitable for discussion here?

For answers to the many unsolved questions of geodynamics that includes the engine that drives the plate tectonic mechanism, mountain building, continental breakup and more.  http://www.sciencefo...onic-mechanism/  and http://electroplatet...ics.weebly.com/  

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know. - Michel De Montaigne.

#8 Strange

Strange

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 11,892 posts
  • Location珈琲店

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:36 AM

Use this thread to share your personal beliefs 

Maybe you should ask the mods to change the title of this thread as this has nothing to do with theory.

I think everyone should believe something. I believe I will have another drink.

#9 Ultimate Infinity

Ultimate Infinity

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

Bring it on boys

#10 swansont

swansont

Evil Liar (or so I'm told)

• Moderators
  • 35,670 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

Maybe you should ask the mods to change the title of this thread as this has nothing to do with theory.

!

Moderator Note

theory —> belief

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#11 Ultimate Infinity

Ultimate Infinity

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:25 PM

This is in religion so you can do that so come share your brilliant beliefs about existence

#12 Strange

Strange

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 11,892 posts
  • Location珈琲店

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

This is in religion so you can do that so come share your brilliant beliefs about existence

I think existence is vast, amazing and puzzling. I think we should use our brains (our God-given brains, if you wish to believe that) to try and understand the universe and everything in it.

I think it is a criminal waste of your mental powers to just reject learning about the universe because you think you have a simple answer.

If your God exists, he would be ashamed of you and would probably be yelling, "Good grief, boy, open your mind and study the world around you. That is why I created it. Don't waste that brain I created with so much care!."

#13 Ultimate Infinity

Ultimate Infinity

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

I think existence is vast, amazing and puzzling. I think we should use our brains (our God-given brains, if you wish to believe that) to try and understand the universe and everything in it.

I think it is a criminal waste of your mental powers to just reject learning about the universe because you think you have a simple answer.

If your God exists, he would be ashamed of you and would probably be yelling, "Good grief, boy, open your mind and study the world around you. That is why I created it. Don't waste that brain I created with so much care!."

I find this insulting my favorite thing is learning about the universe because like you said it is so amazing and so please do not think I don't have an open mind I don't tell you guys that you don't have open minds just because you oppose me

#14 zapatos

zapatos

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 2,548 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:27 PM

I find this insulting my favorite thing is learning about the universe because like you said it is so amazing and so please do not think I don't have an open mind I don't tell you guys that you don't have open minds just because you oppose me

We are not telling you that you don't have an open mind just because you oppose us, we are telling you that you don't have an open mind because you are demonstrating you don't have an open mind.

In fact, you already guaranteed us that you won't change your mind.

res ipsa loquitur

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. -MP

"As a good christian, I'm always going to disagree with any proof you try to give me." -Peter BE cimp

#15 Ultimate Infinity

Ultimate Infinity

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:39 PM

I am going to learn much more about the universe but just because I am sure that I will still believe in God doesn't mean I don't have an open mind I can learn about nature and its laws without having to deny God

#16 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,388 posts
  • LocationStonehouse, Gloucestershire.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

I am going to learn much more about the universe but just because I am sure that I will still believe in God doesn't mean I don't have an open mind I can learn about nature and its laws without having to deny God

How does God benefit you?

Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am.... -John Donne.

WARNING ...Participation in topics I start can seriously affect you’re grades... WARNING

#17 Ultimate Infinity

Ultimate Infinity

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

He has given us you know everything good

#18 zapatos

zapatos

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 2,548 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

He has given us you know everything good

How do you know this?

Edited by zapatos, 30 June 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#19 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,388 posts
  • LocationStonehouse, Gloucestershire.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

No I mean, what has God done for you, specifically.

Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am.... -John Donne.

WARNING ...Participation in topics I start can seriously affect you’re grades... WARNING

#20 DrP

DrP

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE: "How do you know this"

"Because the bible says so..." will probably be his answer - maybe he can prove me wrong.

UI - Other than 'the bible says so' - how do you know that it comes from god?

Edited by DrP, 30 June 2016 - 01:54 PM.

"Tonight I am going to party like it's on sale for $19.99"! - Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users