Should life creation be allowed?

fredreload

Right my focus is more on digital creation. Technically if you create a digital system it never dies. Only if the power stops running and the software terminates. So who is to say you have the right to end its life?

Hmm, technically what I mean by life is the creation of a nervous system. You can feel and have a sense of being alive with a nervous system, whereas bacteria and similar organisms that does not have a nervous system does not have a sense of self or awareness. So if digital immortality is real and you create life in a computer, who is to decide when to terminate their lives? Keep in mind that they could be immortals

Right my focus is more on digital creation. Technically if you create a digital system it never dies. Only if the power stops running and the software terminates. So who is to say you have the right to end its life?

How do you digitally create a nervous system?

I am not sure if they were introduced to the same cell or not but I do know the sequences were made from scratch, not just removed and put back in...

Only the actual synthesis of the DNA is from scratch (using a very simple de novo/amplification chemistry). The genome sequence is from the same bacteria, with a portion of it removed. It is similar to very old studies to cure sequences, except that they now removed the whole chromosome and put in the synthesized ones.

And yes, they basically took the cells, removed the DNA and put in the reduced version. I.e. it is still to early to call that an organism from scratch (and yes, the press has massively sold the technical and especially the scientific achievement).

So is the question about creating an AI, and then the ethics of turning the computer off?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...