London Independence

Prometheus

In the wake of Brexit there have been growing calls for London to declare independence from the rest of the UK. I've lived in London for over 10 years and have heard such calls before, but now they seem a little more appealing. If we had a referendum tomorrow I would vote to leave the UK, preferably in favour of the EU.

However, i'm aware that this may just be an emotional reaction: also i am not too versed in politics so would like to know some opinions on the matter. Does the idea have potential or is it a non-starter? How would you vote and why?

As amusing as I would find it, I don't see how London supports itself as an independent city-state. Maybe, maybe if it had unfettered access to the sea it could make a go of it, but unless you annex the land around the Thames out to its mouth, you don't even have that.

It'd be a blow to England to lose London, but it'd be a blow to London to lose the rest of England as well, even with a gurantee of EU membership but especially without one.

I get the emotional response, but I've yet to see a good argument for how it would work logistically without landing everyone in an even bigger mess than they're already in.

But that's just my perspective as an outsider looking in. I have no real direct experience with the issue unless you count a couple of vacation trips to London over the years.

In the wake of Brexit there have been growing calls for London to declare independence from the rest of the UK. I've lived in London for over 10 years and have heard such calls before, but now they seem a little more appealing. If we had a referendum tomorrow I would vote to leave the UK, preferably in favour of the EU.

However, i'm aware that this may just be an emotional reaction: also i am not too versed in politics so would like to know some opinions on the matter. Does the idea have potential or is it a non-starter? How would you vote and why?

That's how things will end up, much like the contraction of the Roman empire, not just yet though, maybe in 50 years or so.

Edited by dimreepr

It is wrong to divide a territory on the basis of what people think and vote.

We should learn to assume that people next to us think differently. And somehow it is the case now: it is not that difficult.

The problem arises when the people who think differently impose their point of view to the others.

That is what is happening now.

If I were Cameron, I would say "well you want to leave? That's O.K. for me. Those who want to jump out of the ship may jump. I will continue with the others"

Maybe, maybe if it had unfettered access to the sea it could make a go of it, but unless you annex the land around the Thames out to its mouth, you don't even have that.

There are plenty of land-locked city-states: San-Marino, Vatican City, Lesotho. Guess it depends on whether the rest of UK would seek cooperation or punishment and just where the city borders are drawn.

There are plenty of land-locked city-states: San-Marino, Vatican City, Lesotho. Guess it depends on whether the rest of UK would seek cooperation or punishment and just where the city borders are drawn.

Must be remembered that London is only land-locked to an extent - it used to be the busiest port in the world; a bit of dredging and knock down a few banks...

Must be remembered that London is only land-locked to an extent - it used to be the busiest port in the world; a bit of dredging and knock down a few banks...

The problem is that it's access to the sea runs through non-London parts of England, which means that the city would have to rely on the country it just seceded from for shipping access.

The problem is that it's access to the sea runs through non-London parts of England, which means that the city would have to rely on the country it just seceded from for shipping access.

I think rivers are owned by Crown - and her maj lives in London. And I think the Thames is still administered by the Port of London Authority - and we could dust off the Belfast :)

I think rivers are owned by Crown - and her maj lives in London. And I think the Thames is still administered by the Port of London Authority - and we could dust off the Belfast :)

I take it you're in the vote leave camp. :P

I take it you're in the vote leave camp. :P

Actually I would vote Remain in that one as I did in the original. Stronger Together!

I love the European Project - and may leave England to remain part of it; but I would hate to see the balkanisation of a country I love, has done so much to be proud of (and so so much to be ashamed of too), and is a functioning pluralistic, (almost-) secular, modern liberal democracy

Actually I would vote Remain in that one as I did in the original. Stronger Together!

I love the European Project - and may leave England to remain part of it; but I would hate to see the balkanisation of a country I love, has done so much to be proud of (and so so much to be ashamed of too), and is a functioning pluralistic, (almost-) secular, modern liberal democracy

Way to spike my joke. +1

I think we need to learn to live together, rather than differentiating ourselves. The motivation for differentiation seems to be people believe they are getting too little, and can improve by changing their circumstance. But, these are emotional attitudes and actions, which can be the opposite of reality. I think these changes will not achieve the desired results, or achieve some and make others worse. Moreover, I think the coming changes from AI technology will be so profound that this kind of political bickering will be viewed as inconsequential by future historians.