Brain plasticity simulation

fredreload

So, I want information or algorithm on brain plasticity simulation. My guess is it is related to short term memory because you are constantly changing the shape of the brain based on your observation of the environment. Since the brain does not store information like a hard drive with 0 and 1 bit, the brain stores memory by making connections with adjacent neurons. So my guess is your observation of the surroundings is stored through brain plasticity by changing the shape of the brain through making connections. That's how I am able to remember the things I see. For instance, I see a bird, my brain does not store it as 0 and 1s but rather stored through neuron making connections with adjacent neurons so I can later recall this bird that I saw. I've read somewhere that there are research being done on brain plasticity. To be honest, in order to understand brain plasticity and memory you probably have to figure out what each connection within the brain does to get the whole picture. But a research suggests that by increasing the blood flow and neuronal activity within certain area of the brain causes the neuron to branch and connect to the nearest neuron. So maybe such a thing can be simulated with algorithms without worrying about how memory is stored, which I think is rather unsafe. My speculation on how brain's memory could be interpreted will be in my next post if I get the time to do it. Anyway, any discussion on brain plasticity is welcomed here

So, I want information or algorithm on brain plasticity simulation. [...] I've read somewhere that there are research being done on brain plasticity.

Learning how to read and research your own questions in the scientific literature is a valuable skill; this seems like a perfect time for you to learn or practice it. I guarantee that many people have looked into these types of questions, you would do well to read what they have already discovered rather than just spitballing on your own. 'On the shoulders of giants' and all that, ya know?

Edited by Bignose

You could start here: https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=brain+plasticity+simulation

Or, if you want a model to play with: http://www.nest-simulator.org

Or, if you have supercomputer lying around: http://bluebrain.epfl.ch

My guess is it is related to short term memory because you are constantly changing the shape of the brain based on your observation of the environment.

Note that plasticity does not change the "shape" of the brain.

From the Blue Brain site:

Plasticity: The ability of a synapse, a neuron or a neuronal circuit to change its properties in response to stimuli or the absence of stimuli.

Learning how to read and research your own questions in the scientific literature is a valuable skill; this seems like a perfect time for you to learn or practice it. I guarantee that many people have looked into these types of questions, you would do well to read what they have already discovered rather than just spitballing on your own. 'On the shoulders of giants' and all that, ya know?

I agree I should do more research, but there really aren't much topic over this area. As you have seen from my previous post regarding brain scan, one can't really get a detailed molecular image over the entire brain yet. On the other hand the brain plasticity have only just begun to get popularity recently. I've read an article which compared neuron to a transistor and the brain as a computer, but I haven't really found any attempts on decoding this grand architecture. You know, convert neuron to logic gates with binary inputs and outputs and decode this information. And then there is the validity of such information, what would the logic gate of pain looks like and what would its connections be. Not every two brains might have the same connections but they generally do look like a brain, or they look the same, so maybe a generalized mapping can be applied to these brains and its connections? The study over this area just seems a bit slow. I am aware of the blue brain project, but I am not sure if they are going about decoding the models, they are simply building the brain models. The NEST simulator is a bit slow, an ideal simulator should probably be ran with GPU. It took the K computer 40 minutes to simulate the brain with a NEST software, still an extraordinary feat. So the main area of focus should be to build a good molecular scanner for the brain for observation and to begin decoding the brain in terms of logic gates. I don't even know about brain plasticity at this point, but a good enough molecular scanner should be able to track these changes

All I have to say: http://bfy.tw/6O7K

Fudge, the 40th one down is subtitled 'more than 40 years of research'!!!! I can't help but feel you didn't look very hard at all.

Well I suppose you are right that brain plasticity is caused by stimulus in certain brain region causing the neurons to create new connections. What I would like to find out is what this new connection entail. For instance, if this particular neuron forms a new connection with the adjacent neuron what does that connection mean? The way of finding this new form connection might be predicted through decoding the brain connections as I mentioned. Well, or maybe the brain does branch randomly according to a stimulus location. If this is done right we can say, create connections here there and there and I learned math, or here there and there and I learned science, or driving a helicopter like the movie Matrix, or gain certain memory. It's like you wake up one day and know something right away. Is the stimulus chemical based? Or the electrical signal causing the stimulus? I suppose there are still many things we should look into, but anyway, thanks for the heads up

Edited by fredreload