How many times has humanity reset?

Scotty99

I'm sorry but i simply cannot buy any mainstream explanations of how ancient megastructures were built. No the pyramids were not built with ropes and logs and elbow grease, im sorry but that did not happen. Whats funny about this whole deal is as amazing as the pyramids are, they were not even the most difficult thing to accomplish if you look around other megalithic sites you find 100+ ton blocks that would be a real challenge to move with modern tech.

This moves onto the title of the post, how many times HAS humanity reset? Clearly we know NOTHING about even our recent past (10-20k years is very recent) how can we know anything about our actual history on this planet? Who is to say we havent been here millions of years and the cycle keeps repeating? Obviously this would require at least one man and one woman to achieve, but that honestly makes more sense to me than the current view.

I'm sorry but i simply cannot buy any mainstream explanations of how ancient megastructures were built. No the pyramids were not built with ropes and logs and elbow grease, im sorry but that did not happen. Whats funny about this whole deal is as amazing as the pyramids are, they were not even the most difficult thing to accomplish if you look around other megalithic sites you find 100+ ton blocks that would be a real challenge to move with modern tech.

Do you have any evidence to support your beliefs? Or is it just a lack of knowledge and imagination?

This moves onto the title of the post, how many times HAS humanity reset?

What does that mean?

Clearly we know NOTHING about even our recent past (10-20k years is very recent) how can we know anything about our actual history on this planet?

We know an awful lot about that period. Nearly half is documented. The rest is well evidenced from archeology.

This appears to be an example of you not knowing much and therefore assuming that we know nothing.

Who is to say we havent been here millions of years and the cycle keeps repeating? Obviously this would require at least one man and one woman to achieve, but that honestly makes more sense to me than the current view.

We have a pretty good fossil record. We see the development of early humans. We don't see evidence of structures or civilisations that are millions of years old.

This moves onto the title of the post, how many times HAS humanity reset?

For sure our knowedge 'comes and goes' and we have had great losses of information as various societies and nations have fallen. For example, we have the loss of the Libary of Alexandria, the ending of the Islamic Golden age, the Dark ages with the fall of the Roman empire and so on. I am not well educated in history, maybe others can say a lot more.

... how can we know anything about our actual history on this planet?

By trying to put all the evidence together. Though I expect most historians will agree that some interpretation is needed to fill the gaps.

Who is to say we havent been here millions of years and the cycle keeps repeating?

Well it depends on how many millions you mean. Hominina (humans and similar) are thought to have evolved about 7.2 million years ago.

As for evidence of a cycle, that seems at odds with what we do know from archaeology, paleoanthropology, paleontology, physical geography...

Edited by ajb

Well first off lets just imagine the pyramids which is dated to around 4000 years ago. Our BEST explanation is literally ropes/logs and manpower. I understand this was supposed to have gone down over a ~30 year period but in my heart of hearts i cannot even fathom how that could have been completed. Who is the foreman? How did they know exactly how to place each stone so the next stone didnt get misaligned even a little bit tumbling the whole structure? The pyramids are an exceptional example of precision but the blocks were still heavy, but if were talking heavy take a look at the 100+ ton blocks from puma punku (i think it was this one). How exactly can you explain humans which may or may not have had a written language to move 100 ton blocks of stone?

Man i wish i knew how to quote individual replies, but ill do it manually here:

Strange asked what do i mean when i ask how many times has humanity reset.

Ill explain if it wasnt clear. If you look at the megaliths that stand on this planet today and how we thought the civilizations were back then you could rationally come to the conclusion we were far more advanced. If we know that little from our recent past who is to say this does not go much much further back? Who is to say cataclysmic events have either buried civilizations miles under the ocean or was lost to a heat related event.

So there are gaps in our knowedge of how the pyramids were created.

But what are you suggesting?

Simply that we have no idea of our history. Did you know the popular belief of the sphinx age is now closer to 20k years due to the aging pattern being rain based vs sandstorms? (egypt hasnt had those heavy rains for that long).

If you look at the megaliths that stand on this planet today and how we thought the civilizations were back then you could rationally come to the conclusion we were far more advanced.

Okay, I agree that we should give more credit to these civilisations. People are very inventive and found solutions to their problems... this included building the pyramids in Egypt.

If we know that little from our recent past who is to say this does not go much much further back? Who is to say cataclysmic events have either buried civilizations miles under the ocean or was lost to a heat related event.

How much further back?

There may well be civilisations that we do not know about today. But with no evidence that they existed I am not sure what we can really say about this. Though from time to time discoveries are made.

Edited by ajb

Who knows how far back that is the question i pose in this thread.

7.2 million years ago must be the limit! :)

But of course, that does not mean that large complex societies are that old, far from it. And of course modern man is not that old... more like 300,000 years.

Edited by ajb

Since this IS the speculations forum, gonna let loose for a second.

I firmly believe two things about our existence:

1. We have a creator.

2. We are a society with amnesia.

I believe these two are related somehow and i post threads like this for insight from like minded people.

7.2 million years ago must be the limit! :)

But of course, that does not mean that large complex societies are that old, far from it. And of course modern man is not that old... more like 300,000 years.

Again, that 300k year figure is just from bone samples we have found. Is carbon dating even correct? Is it possible extinction events dont exactly mean exctinction and a small populous survived to repopulate? I think i left something big out which is common place for my mind, this is all about passed down knowledge. How else could you explain the pyramids or any other megalithic structure that STILL is standing on earth today when our records state these people were literal hunter/gatherers.

I believe these two are related somehow and i post threads like this for insight from like minded people.

Maybe a science forum is not the place to seek 'like minded people'.

What do we know...

i) Modern man evolved about 200,000 to 300,000 years ago. So we don't have millions of years to play with. Our last Human-Chimp common ancestor evolved something like 7 million years ago. You may call these the 'first people', so in that respect you may have millions of years. But there is no evidence that they formed anything like large civilisations, though they of course formed societies. A single line of evolution of Humans only goes back 2.5 million years, so maybe these are more like 'the first people'. So maybe a couple of million years you have to play with.

ii) There is no evidence for civiliations anything like as old as 1 million years, that predates modern humans, but still lets allow some 'wiggle room'.

Well first off lets just imagine the pyramids which is dated to around 4000 years ago. Our BEST explanation is literally ropes/logs and manpower. I understand this was supposed to have gone down over a ~30 year period but in my heart of hearts i cannot even fathom how that could have been completed. Who is the foreman? How did they know exactly how to place each stone so the next stone didnt get misaligned even a little bit tumbling the whole structure? The pyramids are an exceptional example of precision but the blocks were still heavy, but if were talking heavy take a look at the 100+ ton blocks from puma punku (i think it was this one). How exactly can you explain humans which may or may not have had a written language to move 100 ton blocks of stone?

We don't have a lot of information on the techniques used however, there is a vast amount of documentation relating to the workers: where they lived, what they were paid, what they ate, who they were. I wouldn't be surprised if the name of the foreman is known.

Also, remember that the giant pyramids weren't the first to be built. They had been building pyramids for hundreds, maybe thousands, of years before then. Pyramids are common around the world because they are so easy to build.

And, finally, people have reproduced the techniques probably used. Don't underestimate what can be done with a huge amount of manpower.

Is carbon dating even correct?

Why do only people with their own 'theories', disproved by carbon dating, ever ask that?

Is it possible extinction events dont exactly mean exctinction and a small populous survived to repopulate?

Then they would not have been extinct.

How else could you explain the pyramids or any other megalithic structure that STILL is standing on earth today when our records state these people were literal hunter/gatherers.

Because humans are frigging smart and can achieve colossal things when we put our minds to it.

You are completely missing the point here ajb. I am looking at the large scope. In actuality i am suggesting humans have been around for billions of years if i am being honest, with evidence being here and gone each time an asteroid hits or a tsunami washes everything away. If you look at humanity on that large of a scale and how often extinction events hit you will get an idea of what im trying to get across here.

Obviously this begs the question of how do we repopulate? That is the key here. I dont know how far back this goes but are extinction events ACTUAL extinction events?

Man i wish i knew how to quote individual replies, but ill do it manually here:

Try the button marked "QUOTE" at the bottom of the post.

Ill explain if it wasnt clear. If you look at the megaliths that stand on this planet today and how we thought the civilizations were back then you could rationally come to the conclusion we were far more advanced.

Look at one of the most famous megaliths: Stonehenge. Yes, it is impressive that they managed to move such large stones a huge distance and then stand them on end (although there is nothing technically difficult in that). But, apart from its size, it is really crude.

If we know that little from our recent past who is to say this does not go much much further back? Who is to say cataclysmic events have either buried civilizations miles under the ocean or was lost to a heat related event.

With no evidence, there isn't much to say. You can make up whatever stories you want about ancient people, aliens, intelligent dinosaurs building cities, etc. But with no evidence, it is just science fiction.

Simply that we have no idea of our history. Did you know the popular belief of the sphinx age is now closer to 20k years due to the aging pattern being rain based vs sandstorms? (egypt hasnt had those heavy rains for that long).

There is a big difference between "not knowing everything" and "knowing nothing".

Is carbon dating even correct?

It is reliable enough to let us know that bones we have found are not millions of years old.

Is it possible extinction events dont exactly mean exctinction and a small populous survived to repopulate?

Yes, or otherwise there would be no life on Earth now.

How else could you explain the pyramids or any other megalithic structure that STILL is standing on earth today when our records state these people were literal hunter/gatherers.

By the time people were building huge objects they had formed a civilisation of some sort. We are not talking about a small group of nomadic tribes building the wonders of the world.

Again, that 300k year figure is just from bone samples we have found. Is carbon dating even correct?

Do you have any reason to think it isn't? Do you know how it works? Do you know what it is calibrated against?

Sounds like you are just wishing it didn't work so you can make stuff up.

You are completely missing the point here ajb. I am looking at the large scope. In actuality i am suggesting humans have been around for billions of years if i am being honest, with evidence being here and gone each time an asteroid hits or a tsunami washes everything away.

With no evidence, this is not science. Just a fairy tale.

We don't have a lot of information on the techniques used however, there is a vast amount of documentation relating to the workers: where they lived, what they were paid, what they ate, who they were. I wouldn't be surprised if the name of the foreman is known.

Also, remember that the giant pyramids weren't the first to be built. They had been building pyramids for hundreds, maybe thousands, of years before then. Pyramids are common around the world because they are so easy to build.

And, finally, people have reproduced the techniques probably used. Don't underestimate what can be done with a huge amount of manpower.

But where did the inspiration for a pyramid come from, that is a problem in itself if you are taking that stand point. Who came up with that design? Could you imagine yourself having that strike of brilliance?

But where did the inspiration for a pyramid come from, that is a problem in itself if you are taking that stand point. Who came up with that design? Could you imagine yourself having that strike of brilliance?

It is the easiest large structure to build. It may have evolved from piling stones in a cairn as a memorial. (Something that I believe other primates have been seen to do.)

In actuality i am suggesting humans have been around for billions of years if i am being honest...

Totally at odds with what we scientifically know.

with evidence being here and gone each time an asteroid hits or a tsunami washes everything away.

You need evidence of such events.

If you look at humanity on that large of a scale and how often extinction events hit you will get an idea of what im trying to get across here.

We are an adaptive speices... but still we cannot be billions of years old! Not even millions, unless you want to count our ancestors in the same 'branch' of the evolutionary tree.

Obviously this begs the question of how do we repopulate?

Best ask your dad about that...

I dont know how far back this goes but are extinction events ACTUAL extinction events?

People really talk about ongoing extinction events meaning a period for which the diversity of life on Earth is greatly reduced. It may mean the extinction of certian species or even whole groups of animals and plants. But it does not mean that everything died.

Could you imagine yourself having that strike of brilliance?

Does not matter ... the fact that the pyramids are there means that someone did think of building them!

Stonehenge is childs play compared to some of the ancient megaliths, i wish i remembered the name of the one with the 100 ton stone. I am not kidding you, we could probably move it today with our most advanced cranes but it would be a literal challenge. I seen aliens posted in some of the replies and let me respond. Many of these sites i was made aware of from the ancient aliens series on the history channel, that does not mean i am a proponent of the theory. In fact i find the vast majority of their videos trash and i feel bad for people who take that crap seriously, but it DID at least introduce me to the ancient megalithic sites that i likely would not have been aware of otherwise as a fat american.

It is the easiest large structure to build. It may have evolved from piling stones in a cairn as a memorial. (Something that I believe other primates have been seen to do.)

Thats whats cool about being in my position, if you say the pyramids were cake to build (as you are seemingly insinuating) i can come back at you with blocks of stone larger than a school bus that were moved 50+ miles or stones with carvings that could only have been done with machines that we could only describe as CNC machines.

i can come back at you with blocks of stone larger than a school bus that were moved 50+ miles or stones with carvings that could only have been done with machines that we could only describe as CNC machines.

Go on then. Prove they could only be done with machines.

Why do people like you have so little faith in human abilities?

Scotty99, what are you suggesting?

We all agree that building ancient megaliths would have been hard for these people. It took then a lot of time, manpower and ingenuity. It took them the best of their knowedge in mathematics, engineering and material science.

But are you hinting are something else?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.