Mind recording?

YerniBoi

So this crazy idea just popped in my mind. What if we could record anything that we think of in the moment we think about it. For example you come up with an idea for a song and this draft of a song is recorded for you in some storage unit. I'd like to know how possible could this be.

We can record brain activity, and we can even map that activity into an algorithm that makes something happen (like controlling a robotic arm or steering a flight simulator), but it takes training for the system to learn which individual firing patterns should result in which individual system responses, and those differ from person to person (and even over time within the same person).

You're looking for something far more advanced, basically a recorder for a consciousness. Unfortunately today, not only do we lack sufficient technology to achieve that, but we also lack sufficient understanding of consciousness itself.

If someone was permanently attached to a recorder and was able to access these recordings in a way that made some kind of a direct sensory impression could it be a way of jogging the memory?

You know sometimes you have a "tip of the tongue" experience and your mind searches around for something to associate what it is you are looking for with?

If you knew the time that was relevant to the item you were trying to dredge up in your mind ,could you play back these mental recordings and the memory would not be "tip of the tongue " any more but you would have ,so to speak "bridged the gap".

I am not suggesting you could "listen into" these recordings but that they might perhaps still work as an "aide-memoire".

There is, however, this:

https://vimeo.com/169779284

One human subject underwent fMRI brain scanning while viewing a complex natural movie. Voxel-wise modeling was used to estimate a forward encoding model for each location in visual cortex (see Nishimoto et al., 2011). For each one second segment of the movie, the encoding model was used in decoding mode to identify, from a library of 5000 hours of random video, 100 random clips most likely to be similar to the original clip that elicited the measured brain activity. The top 5 clips from these 100 were then selected using histograms of gradient features, image gradient similarity, and SIFT-flow features across time. These clips were averaged to produce the final reconstruction. This video includes [top left] the original movie shown that the subject saw, [top right] the final reconstructed movie, [bottom left] the image gradients in the original movie, and [bottom right] the image gradients in the reconstruction. The reconstruction is remarkably similar to the original movie.

Short video at the link.

wow thanks for all the help, and yes, that is exactly what i was thinking: recording consciousness. Although it is technology beyond ours, I don´t think we are far away form it. I guess I´ve got something to work on during my spare time.

ABout the "tip of the tongue" experience, I try to make a reconstruction of everything during the time the idea I´m looking for was thought but with my random ramblings all day, it´s a little bit tough,, which is why I thought about this.