Space Junk

fredreload

I'm thinking of a type of satellite that stays in space. Bear with me for a second, it does now orbit around earth, rather it is placed so that earth orbits around it. I mean whatever you place in space stays in space so it's position won't change. What changes is its direction it observes, like a telescope. Benefit, it is permanent and you don't need to replace it, when you want something else you just collect it back. Maybe there's one built on the moon already, but it's like a space station. This way you don't need to launch a satellite every now and then

P.S. I'm saying this because I want to launch my own custom satellite. I mean as long as I can find a way to get it to space using balloons I get a satellite

Edited by fredreload

I'm not sure what you mean by the earth orbiting it?

The earth orbits the sun. The moon orbits the earth. Our man made satellites orbit the earth (mostly, some orbit other solar system objects).

I'm thinking of a type of satellite that stays in space. Bear with me for a second, it does now orbit around earth, rather it is placed so that earth orbits around it. I mean whatever you place in space stays in space so it's position won't change.

Are you suggesting a satellite that "hovers" in the same position, while the Earth rotates underneath it?

Stuff doesn't just stay in space on its own. If it's close to a gravity well (like Earth) it needs to be moving fast enough to keep from getting pulled in, and if you want it to remain near the Earth instead of flying past it, it needs to be moving in an orbit.

There's also the fact that even if you could power this satellite all the time so it "hovers" in place, you increase the chances of other orbiting vehicles and debris hitting your satellite, which creates more space junk each time it happens. Your satellite won't be moving in orbit with the rest, so they'll all be potential collisions.

There's also the fact that even if you could power this satellite all the time so it "hovers" in place, you increase the chances of other orbiting vehicles and debris hitting your satellite, which creates more space junk each time it happens. Your satellite won't be moving in orbit with the rest, so they'll all be potential collisions.

Right well, I did hear about a perpetual satellite that stays in orbit from a friend (one that doesn't crash, like the moon). I just feel like having an easy way out of this, ie, satellite stay in one place. And that's where I went with the surveillance camera idea.

Have a look at geostationary satellites.

The moon's orbit dues change with time, it's just very stable.

And I imagine people would complain with very high resolution imagery from space.

I think the cheapest way to get your won satellite up is the CubeSat initiative: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CubeSat#Costs

The way I know is using a balloon, then propel outward when it gets close to space. Thing is I can't think of much use for a satellite though. I mean sure we can set up a communication satellite and throw stuff into space, but earth is going to move away from it anyway. Ya I thought about the kite scenario too, that's not going to work. So how exactly do they control the Mars Rover all the way from earth? Beats me. Here's an example of Mars Rover. So if you're flying something straight to Mars it will take a while. Once it leaves the atmosphere it will just go in a straight path. Somewhere discussed in the Physics Forum about flying a paper airplane to Mars I think. And how do you control something in space. Electricity and some type of torque? We'll need some mechanical expert here.

So how exactly do they control the Mars Rover all the way from earth?

Radio waves. (Although it is autonomous to a large extent because of the long delays.)

So if you're flying something straight to Mars it will take a while. Once it leaves the atmosphere it will just go in a straight path. Somewhere discussed in the Physics Forum about flying a paper airplane to Mars I think. And how do you control something in space. Electricity and some type of torque?

For various reasons, they don't fly in a straight line.

The direction is controlled by rocket engines.

http://www.spaceflight101.net/mars-orbiter-mission.html

Have a look at geostationary satellites.

The moon's orbit dues change with time, it's just very stable.

And I imagine people would complain with very high resolution imagery from space.

Geostationary satellites are positioned around the equator. Another complaint is that very few nations where these satellites are parked are wealthy enough to afford space programs, so the big guys gobble up that orbital territory and the little guys have little say in what's above them.

A few years ago I came up with a hypothesis for a format of a certain orbit I called geocentrically-stationary orbit. Please note that this name does not mean anything to me back in my pure pseudo science make anything work days. However this "pseudo orbit" did however come with a fun little invention that I also came up with ( hopefully no one has already came up with it :3 ).

Any who the idea went like this.

If it where possible to have a satellite maintained at a certain position in space, meaning that in respect to secondary orbiting spacial bodies and in respect to the earths own orbit it would appear stationary, then you could hypothetically have it remain at remain at the certain ( "non-orbiting") distance away from the earth and have it follow a path moving up and down catching man made orbiting bodies. This however would cost a heck of a lot due to the constant refueling necessary because again this would be in a non-orbital system.

Please message me if you have any further questions and please correct any miss information that I have stated so that we can get this idea rolling :D

I am sorry for my previous remark,only message me for specific information or if you would like to talk about stuff.

Again the object would not be in a orbit, it would just be traveling at a certain distance from the earth needing to CONSTANTLY refueled.

An orbit around the sun you could say... an unstable one. You could possibly maintain it by active control, don't think it'd be easy though.

Please note that the image shows that the earth is rotating weirdly, I only wanted to show man made orbiting bodies in respect to the rotation of the earth along with the object that is not in a full earth orbit, again this is not an accurate interpretation of the earth rotation at all, it is merely a over simplified and obscured understanding looking only at the orbiting and sub orbiting bodies around the earth.

A orbit around the sun could work as well, however it would require a lot more thrust and fuel.

post-117635-0-62026700-1463973643_thumb.png

Ok, much closer to the earth than I thought you were talking about. That would take a lot of fuel and control to keep it there, probably too much to be feasible, have you done the maths? It'd also get in the way of other orbitors.

Not yet, this is why I have posted inside of the speculations page, however is not the point of creating a device that can collect space debris to actually get in the way of other orbiters. This would be the main methodology for collecting spacial debris, because it being in a sort of stationary no orbiting location then would not the actual orbiting debris run into it, making the devices job a lot more simplistic, all be it implausible at this current instance.