How does LED light impact our organism?

LalaOK

Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) have taken over lighting because they are more energy efficient and can provide better lighting than incandescent bulbs. The body's biological clock works in rhythms that are set by the amount of light and dark the body is exposed to. Therefore does LED light interrupt our normal sleep paterns?

Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) have taken over lighting because they are more energy efficient and can provide better lighting than incandescent bulbs. The body's biological clock works in rhythms that are set by the amount of light and dark the body is exposed to. Therefore does LED light interrupt our normal sleep paterns?

Yes, light at night can adversely affect melatonin production, which governs circadian rhythms. Blue light is especially rich in white LED lighting so the effect is worse, particularly as you are often directly staring at them in the form of TV, mobile phone and computer screens. Add the emergence of white LED room lighting, you've got a perfect recipe for insomnia and its consequences.

The solution is to automatically govern the colour output spectrum to match the time of day i.e. bluest at mid-day, through orange to reddest in the evening. LED lighting has the potential to be the most energy efficient and circadian-rhythm-friendly option, if planned appropriately and the right options chosen for the situation. I know that you can get software to automatically manage colour output in computers and hand held devices; it may already be a native option in some brands like the latest Apple devices, I think.

Edited by StringJunky

The solution is to automatically govern the colour output spectrum to match the time of day i.e. bluest at mid-day, through orange to reddest in the evening. LED lighting has the potential to be the most efficient and circadian-rhythm-friendly option, if planned and the right options chosen for the situation. I know that you can get software to automatically manage colour output in computers and hand held devices; it may already be a native option in some brands like the latest Apple devices, I think. I'm sure some of the guys here are aware of this option for general lighting who might chime in.

Someone here mentioned f.lux, and I installed that on my computer. It syncs with my local time, so that at sunrise my screen starts using its normal cooler colors, continuing until sunset, when it starts transitioning to redder, warmer colors that are more conducive to relaxing before bedtime. It works very well.

Someone here mentioned f.lux, and I installed that on my computer. It syncs with my local time, so that at sunrise my screen starts using its normal cooler colors, continuing until sunset, when it starts transitioning to redder, warmer colors that are more conducive to relaxing before bedtime. It works very well.

It was moi. :) I'm really pleased that your experience concurs with mine. This is definitely not a spurious phenomenon and the solution seems to work in the light of our experience. <pun alert>

https://justgetflux.com/

Edited by StringJunky

That's really cool! It's definitely not only computer screens, though - even if this makes up a large part as we sit hours in front of a screen each day. One important aspect is also lighting at the office and I really think a changeover to LED-lighting can be helpful there. I experience it myself a lot, I keep getting tired and exhausted whenever I work late at the office because we have flickering fluorescent lamps there. If you check the wavelength of LED light and use an appropriate lighting solution I think many of us would be much more comfortable at work and during sleep. So I totally agree with you saying, LED-lighting has a potential there and is also friendly to our circadian rhythm.