Are Black Holes our universe? [Conclusion: NO]

Anirudh Aswal

While i was working on a model of space I came up with a new(maybe) Idea that, If Black holes are our Universe.. Let me Explain. Lets think of our universe as somewhere inside a Black hole. our "Big Bang" was an explosion of a huge star(which ended up as the black hole i am talking about). The Black hole keeps on Engulfing stuff getting bigger adding more stuff to our universe.. which might also be the cause of the expansion of our universe.. while i am working on this .. Can this idea be turned into a theory... Also if this could be considered we might change the way we think of origin of Universe as there is already a bigger Universe outside our's ... A parallel universe

Edited by Anirudh Aswal

This or similar ideas have been poised before (new scientist seems to have an article on a new one every couple of years). As far as I'll aware there is no evidence for any of them and they all stem from modifying the Einstein field equations.

To be a theory in physics you would need a mathematical framework that had been thoroughly tested against reality.

There's no indication than any new matter is being created, space is expanding and the distance between already-present bodies is increasing, but no new stuff is being made.

You may also be interested in learning about the Ekpyrotic model and brane theory.

While i was working on a model of space I came up with a new(maybe) Idea that, If Black holes are our Universe.. Let me Explain. Lets think of our universe as somewhere inside a Black hole.

Black holes are smaller than the universe, so I'm not sure how that is supposed to work.

our "Big Bang" was an explosion of a huge star(which ended up as the black hole i am talking about).

Stars have less mass than the universe so, again, I'm not sure how that is supposed to work.

The Black hole keeps on Engulfing stuff getting bigger adding more stuff to our universe.. which might also be the cause of the expansion of our universe..

Black holes only expand when matter falls into them. After a while there is no more matter nearby and they stop expanding. All the matter falls into the singularity (as far as we know). None of this appears to be similar to the universe we see around us.

To be more specific, the singularity at the start of the universe is, by definition, in our past. The singularity in a black hole is in the future (once you have crossed the event horizon).

The universe is nothing like a black hole (and never was).

Also, we have an explanation for the expansion of the universe (General Relativity). What does your idea add to that?

I would think not, you see, inside a black hole is just a lot of really dense matter. I can explain to you how a black hole works, but I don't think that's what you want to hear. The biggest problem with your idea is that the universe isn't really dense, most of it is just space. Inside a black hole, that's not how it is. Also, how are there black holes inside black holes? Einstein figured out why the universe is expanding, and yours doesn't provide a very plausible explanation.