Wave structure of matter

screwstrip

Then what am I doing? Is physics not about testing nature? I'm testing nature through the looking glass of the aether.

That's not testing nature. That's an attempt to force nature to be viewed through a particular interpretation. You test nature by doing experiments to see if your hypothesis is correct, so the experiments must reflect a way to falsify the hypothesis.

Your aether must have this property: that one cannot be at absolute rest with respect to it, nor in motion. That seems...hard.

I have to say that I'm getting suspicious of the OP motives here.

studiot, on 15 Apr 2016 - 3:55 PM, said:snapback.png

Personally I find the qeust for grand unified theories boring.

If it it ends up showing there is only one agent at work in the whole universe then there is only one thing left for that agent to interact with - itself.

I much prefer the universe of a multiplicity of agents and a myriad of interactions.

screwstrip

I'm not sure how this is a problem. Any ToE is going to have broken symmetries, resulting in interacting components. For example electroweak symmetry -- at low energies the symmetry is broken resulting in EM and the weak force. Is the universe more 'boring' because we know they unify at some level?

Each answer to the only poster offering potential support is an oblique brush off.

So if you grab your ankle with your hand, you are still playing with yourself.

Yes that is boring to me.

If mass is compression what is rarefaction?

They have to come in equal parts and occupy some volume.

As compression increases volume also increases?

Maybe rarefaction is volume!

And the two together define density?

I still don't see how this connects with the speed of light though.

I think the speed of light is the rate at which compression happens.

First, I think you deserve some credit for being genuinely curious and not just insisting you are right and everyone else is wrong. (We see far too much of that.)

You have a lot of questions about your own idea (which is good). Here are some more:

If you think electrons, for example, are "lumps" in the medium why are they all identical?

Why is their charge quantised?

Why do they obey Fermi-Dirac statistics and other "lumps" obey Bose-Einstein statistics?

Why do neutrinos have non-zero mass?

Why are there three generations of leptons?

Are neutrinos Majorana fermions?

There is a theory called Lorentz Ether Theory (LET) which is identical to special relativity in all respects but with the addition of an undetectable aether (it must be undetectable for the theory to work).

The big problem with LET is that there is no obvious way to extend this to something like general relativity. Including gravitation seems not to have been done within this framework.

Given that general relativity works well, and that we know that special relativity 'sits inside' general, I do not see much room for discussing LET. Riemannian geometry seems to be key here.

He's positing that mass is some functional of the stress (tension/compression) of the aether field... which seems immediately false, unless there's some way to get discrete mass values for elementary particles in this manner.

I had in mind that one could try to use solitons... anyway I there would be quite a lot of work here before we get anything like a theory.

The big problem with LET is that there is no obvious way to extend this to something like general relativity. Including gravitation seems not to have been done within this framework.Given that general relativity works well, and that we know that special relativity 'sits inside' general, I do not see much room for discussing LET. Riemannian geometry seems to be key here.I had in mind that one could try to use solitons... anyway I there would be quite a lot of work here before we get anything like a theory.

I've always liked LET simply because I figured early on in studying SR that you could start with a universal "true" rest frame and apply SR and it would still work, you'd just lose the ability to detect which frame was "really" at rest. I was sure I was missing something big until I stumbled on LET and suddenly had a solid framework for that niggling little thought in the back of my mind. Not that I'm a proponent or anything. I recognize that an undetectable aether is completely superfluous, but it's always nice to find that you are merely overcomplicating things rather than completely misunderstanding them.

I made a thread on another forum, here, and am mostly getting responses from people who want to argue for the sake of arguing. I think it really is a topic for philosophy but I want to see what the people of science have to say.

I am trying to understand the mechanics of the universe through the use of a hypothetical medium, mostly working off of this. I do not mean for this to be a debate about who said what, whether a medium actually exists, and the like. Please stay on topic. This thread should only by about the possible properties of said medium and how those produce the phenomena we observe in nature.

The properties so far are: the medium should be continuous, infinite, and compressible; electrons are spherically standing waves, while light is a longitudinal wave that undulates transversely.

The site I was working off didn't seem to explain the photoelectric effect so I did so on the other forum, stating:

That's about it as of now. Let the discussion commence!

Are you trying say that you are trying to understand what link a particle and a wave together.