Need opinions, Doctors can't seem to get it.

Blessedbears

Hello, I am a 31 year old mother. Currently pregnant. For YEARS... at least 7 years that I can date, I have become extremely sick when I drink any tap water.

We are fine as long as I am using a reverse osmosis water filter or if I purchase any bottled water (never been sick 2ith any brands sold in stores).

I recently put in a water filter/water dispenser in my ice maker of my fridge and thought it would be a safe thing to drink and now I am back to having severe stomach pain, diaharea and nausea with occasional vomit in along with sulfur burps.

I have been tested in the past with h. Pylori etc... nothing is ever found. I do Not have any health problems what so ever. No Gerd etc. The problem only arises with tap water. I have drank several tap water types from many surrounding areas and I would say 90% of the time I get very sick. THE kicker is when I drank well water last year while on vacation in Gatlinburg I was 100% fine. Any ideas? I should add that the water has been tested in the past and shows to be fine. . Also 2 members of my family two kids age 10 and 12 also on occasion get sick with the tap too.

Did you have the ph of the water tested too? Water for human consumption needs to be slightly basic with a ph of 7.8. You also need to ask yourself are you the only person locally who appears to be affected? If most people aren't having problems it probably isn't the water and could be a problem with your health.

Water usually contains trace amounts of many chemicals and minerals. You seem to be reacting to something in it, but getting a comprehensive test of things in your water may be expensive; IDK what it would cost. Knowing what is in your water would allow you to determine which chemicals/minerals affect you, but it could be a lengthy process. In some cases very bad chemicals have been found in water supplies, for example DuPont Found Liable in First of 3,500 Toxic-Water Lawsuits.

Hypochondria is a possibility.

A good, easy way to test that would be to add a bit of flavoring, like lime or lemon juice, to the tap water. If the sickness isn't as bad or goes away, it could be the taste of plain tap water triggers an automatic mental disgust.

I get a reaction like that to finding a bone or something inedible I don't want to swallow in a bite of food. I almost immediately start to get nauseous at the thought of spitting that bit out, or even worse, reaching up to remove it from my mouth with my fingers. Strictly psychosomatic.

If you are a city dweller and your water doesn't come from some underground aquifer, it probably does contain many traces amounts of chemicals as EdEarl commented. If you live in an American city, you probably live among a heavily medicated population whose medicinally saturated urine and unused medication enter their water table with nearly every toilet flush. I don't think any American city test for or filter all the pharmaceutical particulates their population dump and excrete; therefore, it is likely you are consuming those particulates when you drink city supplied tap water. Further still, particulates of lead and PVC compounds in the plumbing between your sink and the city's water supply may also affect your water quality. It may be that you are extra sensitive to the trace particulates your city consider safe for consumption. The remedy is to believe your physical reaction is genuine and change your drinking supply to a trusted water source. I've had health issues myself with frequent and urgent urination, which I resolved when I switch to distill/purified water after reading about all the potential particulates in tap water that I was consuming. I hope this helps.

Edited by DrmDoc

A good, easy way to test that would be to add a bit of flavoring, like lime or lemon juice, to the tap water. If the sickness isn't as bad or goes away, it could be the taste of plain tap water triggers an automatic mental disgust.

I get a reaction like that to finding a bone or something inedible I don't want to swallow in a bite of food. I almost immediately start to get nauseous at the thought of spitting that bit out, or even worse, reaching up to remove it from my mouth with my fingers. Strictly psychosomatic.

Actually, that's not a great way to test- though it's a start.

You need a blind test to say anything at all- and a double blind test to be anywhere near certain.

Did you have the ph of the water tested too? Water for human consumption needs to be slightly basic with a ph of 7.8.

testing the pH of something as poorly buffered as tap water is very difficult.

And since humans were essentially designed (via evolution or divine intervention) to drink rain water which is slightly acidic, the idea that we need slightly alkaline water is clearly nonsense.

If you are a city dweller and your water doesn't come from some underground aquifer, it probably does contain many traces amounts of chemicals as EdEarl commented. If you live in an American city, you probably live among a heavily medicated population whose medicinally saturated urine and unused medication enter their water table with nearly every toilet flush. I don't think any American city test for or filter all the pharmaceutical particulates their population dump and excrete; therefore, it is likely you are consuming those particulates when you drink city supplied tap water. Further still, particulates of lead and PVC compounds in the plumbing between your sink and the city's water supply may also affect your water quality. It may be that you are extra sensitive to the trace particulates your city consider safe for consumption. The remedy is to believe your physical reaction is genuine and change your drinking supply to a trusted water source. I've had health issues myself with frequent and urgent urination, which I resolved when I switch to distill/purified water after reading about all the potential particulates in tap water that I was consuming. I hope this helps.

Since you don't know what particulate means it's difficult to know where to sart on that. Mainly it's wrong. City tap water is tested to make sure it's safe.

if it wasn't, the city would be sick or dead.

Is the tap water in your area treated in any way, such as having fluoride added to it, for example?

Well, I sure as hell hope it's treated- chlorine is one of the commonest- but others are available.

Why even mention fluoride in a discussion about water treatment and ill health? Odd as it may seem they don't add it at toxic levels- why would they?

Edited by John Cuthber

You need a blind test to say anything at all- and a double blind test to be anywhere near certain.

And since humans were essentially designed (via evolution or divine intervention) to drink rain water which is slightly acidic, the idea that we need slightly alkaline water is clearly nonsense.

Since you don't know what particulate means it's difficult to know where to start on that. Mainly it's wrong. City tap water is tested to make sure it's safe.

Well, I sure as hell hope it's treated- chlorine is one of the commonest- but others are available.

Why even mention fluoride in a discussion about water treatment and ill health? Odd as it may seem they don't add it at toxic levels- why would they?

Huh? Here's one definition of Particulates, which applies to my usage and here is evidence suggesting that government inspected drinking water isn't always sate. Though dated, here is another article. According to this article 1 in 5 states do not even regulate bottled water. So before you start on my commentary and critique my meaning, perhaps you should educate yourself.

Edited by DrmDoc

Since you don't know what particulate means it's difficult to know where to sart on that. Mainly it's wrong. City tap water is tested to make sure it's safe.

Could it be chlorine hypersensitivity? The test would be to try putting some plain tap water in a jug and leaving it to stand in the fridge, or a cool place, for an hour or two - that should allow the chlorine to dissipate. A quicker test would be to try cold, boiled tap water. I'm hypersensitive to sulphur dioxide because I was reckless with sterilising agents (sodium metabisulphite and citric acid in solution) when making wine years ago.

Huh? Here's one definition of Particulates, which applies to my usage and here is evidence suggesting that government inspected drinking water isn't always sate. Though dated, here is another article. According to this article 1 in 5 states do not even regulate bottled water. So before you start on my commentary and critique my meaning, perhaps you should educate yourself.

" Here's one definition of Particulates, which applies to my usage "

No, the materials you mentioned, like lead, are present in solution- rather than as suspended particles so they are not particulate.

"here is evidence suggesting that government inspected drinking water isn't always sate. "

And all the people who live round the OP who are not ill are evidence that that the water is safe.

"According to this article 1 in 5 states do not even regulate bottled water. "

It's not bottled water causing the problems so that's just irrelevant.

"So before you start on my commentary and critique my meaning, perhaps you should educate yourself. "

Get a mirror.

There seem to be several different websites about fluoride sensitivity. The Wikipedia article on water fluoridation mentions the same symptoms described in the opening post as a potential indicator for fluoride poisoning.

Since some of my posting tools have been, seemingly, disabled, I’ve reposted John's comments in bold print.

From the Particulates link:

adjective

1. of, relating to, or composed of distinct particles.

My use: As it relates to the distinct particles of pollutants or contaminants that may comprise our tap water. Although you may define the term differently, this was my intended use.

“And all the people who live round the OP who are not ill are evidence that that the water is safe.”

My comments and evidence regarding the unsafe nature of some government tested tap water was a response to your statements that “City tap water is tested to make sure it’s safe.” The links I provided suggest that the safety of City tested tap water isn’t always assured as you contend. And, if I may inquire, how do you know that some, if not, “all the people who live round the OP” are not suffering some illness attributable to their water supply? Where is your evidence? I can’t say whether they are but then I didn’t make a blanket statement that they aren’t.

You’re right; however, it is relevant to your comments to me regarded the safe nature of City tested tap water , which inferred to me your belief that government is responsive to concerns about what may be in the waters its populace consume, including bottled water.

Please understand, I am not suggesting that government tested drinking water is entirely unsafe for consumption; however, I am suggesting, via the links I've provided, that belief in government assurances is naïve. The OP should investigate what her local government tests and allows in her tap water. She should investigate whether she might be sensitive to the containments or additives her government permits in her drinking water. If not, switching her drinking water should remain an option. ​

"Get a mirror"

I've looked in the mirror and I think he's gorgeous!

Edited by DrmDoc

What kind of quality tests did you do of your tap water? You can check the pH, BOD, suspended solids, coliform index, dissolved oxygen content, turbidity, chlorine concentration and more.

Edited by Xalatan

Since some of my posting tools have been, seemingly, disabled, I’ve reposted John's comments in bold print.

adjective

My use: As it relates to the distinct particles of pollutants or contaminants that may comprise our tap water. Although you may define the term differently, this was my intended use.

“And all the people who live round the OP who are not ill are evidence that that the water is safe.”

My comments and evidence regarding the unsafe nature of some government tested tap water was a response to your statements that “City tap water is tested to make sure it’s safe.” The links I provided suggest that the safety of City tested tap water isn’t always assured as you contend. And, if I may inquire, how do you know that some, if not, “all the people who live round the OP” are not suffering some illness attributable to their water supply? Where is your evidence? I can’t say whether they are but then I didn’t make a blanket statement that they aren’t.

You’re right; however, it is relevant to your comments to me regarded the safe nature of City tested tap water , which inferred to me your belief that government is responsive to concerns about what may be in the waters its populace consume, including bottled water.

Please understand, I am not suggesting that government tested drinking water is entirely unsafe for consumption; however, I am suggesting, via the links I've provided, that belief in government assurances is naïve. The OP should investigate what her local government tests and allows in her tap water. She should investigate whether she might be sensitive to the containments or additives her government permits in her drinking water. If not, switching her drinking water should remain an option. ​

"Get a mirror"

I've looked in the mirror and I think he's gorgeous!

They still are not particulate because they are in solution.

"As it relates to the distinct particles of pollutants or contaminants that may comprise our tap water."

In my town the tap water is comprised of water.

In the real world, if all the people living near the OP were ill, the monitoring programs run by the CDC etc. would have spotted it and it would be a major news story.

It isn't; so they haven't; so they aren't.

"You’re right; however, it is relevant to your comments to me regarded the safe nature of City tested tap water , which inferred to me your belief "

The nature of city water can't "infer" anything- it isn't an entity capable of thought.

You probably mean "implied". Do you often have difficulties with the meanings of words?

Edited by John Cuthber

Hypochondria is a possibility.

+ 1

Hypochondria is more likely than the tap water actually making you ill. It's reasonably common, occurring in 4-6% of the population and is 3-4 times more likely to affect women. Hypochondria has three common presentations and it seems you may have a bodily preoccupation; in this case individuals report having multiple somatic symptoms and believe it is due to some serious disease and become anxious and fearful, often doubting doctors and believing something was missed in the diagnosis.

I generally don't like the idea of people asking for medical advice online for a number of reasons:

1. You're more than likely going to get a wrong diagnosis because we're either unqualified or we don't have enough data through physical examination and tests to give you a diagnosis.

2. It's likely that you're going to stress more over the possible diagnosis.

3. If your problem turns out to be real and not psychosomatic then you're delaying treatment.

Seek a third of fourth professional opinion if necessary to alleviate your concern, but asking people for medical advice online is just going to make you assume the worst in most cases and it's not going to achieve anything other than further fear and anxiety.

Edited by Sirona

"They still are not particulate because they are in solution."

Again, that is your definition John and this is mine as a adjective, which makes no such distinction:

adjective

"In the real world, if all the people living near the OP were ill, the monitoring programs run by the CDC etc. would have spotted it and it would be a major news story. It isn't; so they haven't; so they aren't."

That statement is as reliable as the link you provided as evidence; pardon, you didn't provide a link or reference as I did previously in support of my comments. Again, government may monitor what's in our water but they are not always as responsive as they should be in informing and protecting the public.

"The nature of city water can't "infer" anything- it isn't an entity capable of thought. You probably mean "implied".

As I wrote, "... it is relevant to your comments to me regarding the safe nature of City tested tap water, which inferred to me your belief" and I believe you are capable of thought although you may not reciprocate. Again, "your comments...which inferred to me your belief."

"Do you often have difficulties with the meanings of words?"

You know this whole exchange began with your insulting attack on my meaning. You are profiled as an "Resident Expert" so could you, perhaps, tell me why some questionable "Experts" piss on others and tell them that it's raining? Apologies, that was rhetorical and no reply is necessary. If this is about more than this discussion line and you believe I've offended you, please accept my apologies; otherwise, I wish you well.

Edited by DrmDoc

You insist on using a definition that is strained to the point of uselessness.

Since everything is made of atom, what do you think is not particulate?

"...relating to...distinct particles" ​of pollutants or contaminants that government may permit at some level in our drinking water. I don't think I can make my use of the term any clearer.

Edited by DrmDoc

....I generally don't like the idea of people asking for medical advice online for a number of reasons:

1. You're more than likely going to get a wrong diagnosis because we're either unqualified or we don't have enough data through physical examination and tests to give you a diagnosis.

2. It's likely that you're going to stress more over the possible diagnosis.

3. If your problem turns out to be real and not psychosomatic then you're delaying treatment.

Seek a third of fourth professional opinion if necessary to alleviate your concern, but asking people for medical advice online is just going to make you assume the worst in most cases and it's not going to achieve anything other than further fear and anxiety.

The forum admin agrees with you, it is not allowed for the reasons you state. Any questions of a medical nature must be presented.in an academic manner, not related in anyway to making a personal diagnosis or treatment recommendation..