What is politics of toleration?

DimaMazin

People who call themselves 'progressives' are always going on about establishing a dialogue with terrorists and assorted groups that proclaim themselves our enemies.

They are after B. Obama to talk to the Cubans,Iranians, Syrians, the Taliban and even ISIL.

Because that will facilitate understanding, they will come to know us for the wonderful people we are, and be our 'buddies'.

Yet when R. Reagan tries to do this 30 odd yrs ago, he's a dick ?

People who call themselves 'progressives' are always going on about establishing a dialogue with terrorists and assorted groups that proclaim themselves our enemies.

They are after B. Obama to talk to the Cubans,Iranians, Syrians, the Taliban and even ISIL.

Because that will facilitate understanding, they will come to know us for the wonderful people we are, and be our 'buddies'.

Please tell me that you understand the difference between trying to normalize relations with a country in order to facilitate diplomatic negotiations and selling that country weapons despite an arms embargo in order to fund terrorists in another country.

Appeasement means different things to different people/groups.

The Mujahideen were 'freedom fighters' in the 80s, defending their country from Russian occupiers.

( not that I agree with what was done, but definitions are fluid )

And at one time Osama bin Laden was welcome anywhere in the US as a wealthy businessman.

Please tell me that you realize that you can't apply modern day standards to long ago issues.

( for one thing, a lot of older literature would now be banned )

The Mujahideen were 'freedom fighters' in the 80s, defending their country from Russian occupiers.

And at one time Osama bin Laden was welcome anywhere in the US as a wealthy businessman.

Please tell me that you realize that you can't apply modern day standards to long ago issues.

Oliver North was indicted on 16 felony counts. Later given immunity for his testimony before Congress: George H.W. Bush granted pardons to 6 others involed. The investigation by Independent Counsel Lawrance Walsh was stonewalled.

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB462/

Reagan's admin broke the law. That is a fact and not a nuanced political opinion or fluid definition.

I have vacationed in Cuba several times. I have relatives who lived there in the winter, and Canada in the summer. Cuba is not some evil empire. Yes there is extreme poverty, but with the tourism industry and the marketing of professionals, life is much better for Cubans now than it was decades ago.

The issue of dealing with "terrorists" isn't that we do, but that republicans say we shouldn't. Reagan should have dealt with terrorists, but he shouldn't have funded them, or upset the power balances. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the Reagan myth, which republicans worship, which in reality did more to strengthen terrorism than Obama did. progressives are internally consistent. Conservatives agree or disagree with policies based on who is proposing them.

And Isis markets themselves as freedom fighters rebelling against the oppressive western forces. It's all bullshit. Empires invade, the powerless use terrorist strategies. They do this because they don't have access to a navy, Air Force, or hundreds of thousands of troops.

Modern day issues are just the current spin. We are at war with Eurasia and all that. Every new group of local thugs is the biggest threat to our way of life.