Is it possible?

meny1237

Hi, i wonder if it's theoretically possible to make the human mind, learn something big, like math, instantly?

Like in the movies, (Ex. Matrix)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by meny1237

Hi, i wonder if it's theoretically possible to make the human mind, learn something big, like math, instantly?

Like in the movies, (Ex. Matrix)

Thanks in advance.

well not exactly...

still as per my knowledge animated videos helps pretty well in remembering things

also some knowledge of image building can help you remember things instantly and it will last pretty long

there is no method which can make a 4 year old learn quantum mechanics instantly

it is possible only after enough knowledge and practice

still i can be wrong...

hope I helped

I think the movie version of learning something that requires physical prowess is complete BS. Even if you could somehow "download" the information you need to be a kung fu expert, you need the muscle memory as well, and the toughened hands and feet necessary to hit and kick without damaging yourself. I don't think there's anything that can be done for that except hard work.

So it's probably the same way with straight information about a subject. At a certain point, you can have all the data required to know maths, but you still need the application experience to convert the data into usable information, imo.

Hard logic answer: Instantaneously? No.... YMMV depending on your interpretation of time-space and physics.

Empathetic answer:

Neo has a cyborg brain. The Matrix movie doesn't go into too much depth of all of what's involved with that cyborg brain. But if we look at some aspects of things, you can get two scenarios: (1) Mind uploading with no B.S. in between or (2) a virtual classroom, whereby you engage in an accellerated timeframe to learn mathematics. That is to say, while Neo was learning martial arts (as per Phi for All... to use in The Matrix, because if you remember him fighting Smith in a person's body while in the "real" world, Neo sucked at fighting "Smith"--2nd movie), he was either (1) getting a mind upload or (2) engaging in a virtual "classroom" to learn martial arts. With a mind upload, we'd have to consider how there would be a paradigm to upload the ability to "abstract" about mathematical problems in order to solve them. There would have to be an understanding of neural networking to the point where you could say with 95% certainty that the topic has been "learned" once the neural network has been established. We would be getting into neural programming at that point.

But then again, Neo had a cyborg brain... so it would be quite definitive without all the biological molecules, their position, their kinetic energy, their relative position to others in other neurons... But if we're getting into the classroom model, that's as much as putting Neo into a white room with a calculus book, saying, "Read this and let me know when you're done with all of the problems," and then ejecting him from the virtual realm once he's done.

The question becomes: How do you operationally define when the mathematics have become "learned"?

Does it occur if I give you a computer with Wolfram Alpha on it? A calculus book as an extension of yourself?

So, it comes down to the operational definition of "learned."

Edited by Genecks