IP address could not be assigned.

ed84c

In the evening i tend to be told that my wireless network has limited or no connectivity, because "A network adress could not be assigned", when i click "repair", it tells me "Could Not complete; Renewing IP address".

Any Ideas? Cheers.

What kind of network do you have?

First check to see which computers are signed which IP adresses (Because I use Linksys, I enter 192.168.1.1 in my address bar to access the administration.). Sometimes two computers will try to take the same IP address. This might be the cause of your problem.

You said "In the evening I tend to be told", does that mean at other times it works?

Is this system using DHCP?

Cause it sounds like the Dynamic Host Control Protocol might be running out of addresses at certain times because of too many users.

In the evening i tend to be told that my wireless network has limited or no connectivity' date=' because "A network adress could not be assigned", when i click "repair", it tells me "Could Not complete; Renewing IP address".

Any Ideas? Cheers.[/quote']

yes its your IP provider thats the fault...you havent got NTL by any chance.Which frequently screw up like this ...Anyway you need to get in touch with them quoting your modem MAC number(usually on the bottom)12 digits identify modem,not the model number!!!

Ive just tried to repair one with the same problem and it was because IP had not entered the correct MAC when upgrading service.

Your computer must have an ethernet address, also known as MAC address, to function on an ethernet network. The mac address is hard wired into the ethernet card and can only be changed by replacing the card. But this is not the address that the internet uses. The Internet Protocol address can be typed in manually at an individual computer, so it is in software. But this presents a problem of IP address management on a large network. Would you want to run around typing addresses into 200 computer making sure there are no duplicates? DHCP sets up a DHCP server that sends an IP address to a computer when it boots up and requests an IP address. This works fine until there are more users than the server has addresses to give out. So the tail end charlies are out of luck.

So if you are late to log in during a high traffic period then you don't get in. This is a problem for your internet access provider. It will cost him to get more addresses.