An Update on the SFN Blogs

Cap'n Refsmmat

Many of you are familiar with the SFN Blogs, which we set up back in 2008 to offer a free WordPress blog to every interested SFN member. Some of our bloggers became quite prolific -- swansont reached nearly 5,000 posts, with ajb trailing at nearly 500 -- but the blogging system eventually languished, failing to receive security updates or maintenance.

Today, in response to some security issues I feared may be related to our five-year-old (!) WordPress version, I upgraded the blogs system to WordPress 4.4 and migrated our most-active blogs to the latest version.

This update brings many new features to WordPress: new themes, an improved dashboard, easier embedding of photos and videos, an improved editor, and much more. Unfortunately, it brings one drawback: we no longer have easy integration with the forums, so running a blog requires a separate account, and there is no longer a Blogs tab to browse the latest blog posts.

If you're interested in following SFN followers, you can subscribe to the latest posts by email or by RSS. If you'd like to start a science-related blog, send me a private message and I'll get one set up for you.

Enjoy!

P.S. The import included the most active and recently updated blogs, but some may have been left out. If I skipped your blog, send me a message and I will import it -- all your content is backed up, so nothing has been lost.

• 2 weeks later...