Apple rejects order to unlock gunman's phone

StringJunky

8 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

No, the Proccessor command would halt the pipe that is machine code for Halt processor pipe in the phone instantly, send that to a computer sometime and see what happens, basically if you send that in the middle of a command like that it will error the command, then the computer will think it is stacking on that command and stop trying to do it.

(Push Call, Halt Pipe)

(0x9A , 0xF4)

I don't know how ou think you are going to insert instructions in the pipeline. And certainly not in the right place. Also, that appears to be an x86 instruction which won't do much good on an ARM processor!

If you could insert arbitrary instructions into the pipeline, then it would probably be more effective to insert a jump to the code that is executed when the correct passcode has been entered.

However, I assume all the security related code is in the ARM's secure area and so unhackable.

11 hours ago, Carrock said:

"Brute-force entering 4 digits algorithm..."

Where can I buy a 20 Teraflop iphone?

iPhone and Android applications are developed on regular iMac or PC with Windows/Linux installed together with iOS and Android OS emulators taking memory dump file as argument.

You would not need single 20 Teraflop iPhone, but 10,000 (or less) emulators, which are run in loop on the same raw copy of entire memory card of smartphone.

ps. If some auto-updating application (or OS component) was checking for update at startup of device, they could inject code to device, pretending app or service, and read what was needed.

16 hours ago, StringJunky said:

You overlooked one small detail: limited retries.

This would not be done on the real device, but copy of memory of device running on emulated smartphone on regular iMac/PC. You didn't write any smartphone application.. ?

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, Strange said:

I don't know how ou think you are going to insert instructions in the pipeline. And certainly not in the right place. Also, that appears to be an x86 instruction which won't do much good on an ARM processor!

If you could insert arbitrary instructions into the pipeline, then it would probably be more effective to insert a jump to the code that is executed when the correct passcode has been entered.

However, I assume all the security related code is in the ARM's secure area and so unhackable.

He's just showing off If the CIA can't do it you can bet anybody here can't.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

He's just showing off If the CIA can't do it you can bet anybody here can't.

well, ya, I thought that would work until I realized it didn't have a x86 processor, which I don't know ARM processor instructions, but I am sure there is a equivalent to those in it, which this is all I could find about Arm Instructions, which I don't understand not being in Hexidemical.

Arm Instruction list

Edited by Vmedvil

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2017 at 8:40 AM, Vmedvil said:

they should just decrypt the phone it would take seconds for a supercomputer

Or not.

FBI Forensic Examiner Stephen Flatley Calls Apple 'Jerks' and 'Evil Geniuses' for Encrypting iPhones

"Your crack time just went from two days to two months," Flatley said.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/11/fbi-forensic-examiner-apple-evil-geniuses/

58 minutes ago, Strange said:

i think you only get a limited number of retries on the newer phones. Another thing i learned is that just because each country's secret service may have laws limiting their right of access to their fellow citizens data doesn't mean their fellow conspirator countries can't and then share the data with them. Like the US can tap the UK and share with GCHQ what they've reaped on UK citizens and vice versa. The respective services can follow the letter  of the law of the country and still get what they want from their partners.

Edited by StringJunky