The issue with tritan

Carbonerd

Recently I've been looking for a bottle - something that will last longer than normal bottles you can buy in local shop. I thought about something made from stainless steel, but such things are usually too small to hold enough water. So after few hours of walking from one shop to another, I found one which had the biggest variety of products.

I chose tritan bottle. I bought it yesterday and used it today for the first time. Water has a different taste in comparison to normal bottle, I am unsure about the cause.

Anyway, I did research today on tritan, trying to find more information about its effects. I came across many articles, all of them were about lawsuit - you know, sombody found evidence on tritan being harmful, the producent went to court to prove that it's healthy (and he won).

Now, I have no idea of whether to keep using tritan bottle daily or admit that I lost money on unhealthy product. Although I find websites for travelers which seem to cheer for tritan bottles as being better than any other products (including ones made of steel).

Do you guys have any ideas?

Please tell us what the problem is in terms of chemistry. Give us a synopsis of the many articles you read. Why are the bottles part of a lawsuit? What chemically makes them unhealthy or harmful?

Please tell us, without linking to a commercial site, why you think there might be a chemical problem with these bottles.

Maybe topic placement wasn't the best, but it's a chemical compund after all.

Synopsis? BPA is bad, BPA-free bottles are bad, the company behind tritan is bad, the whole worlds is bad.

There was a case of independent organisation going over tritan with a fine-tooth comb. They had found some evidence which weren't good for the producer, so he decided to go to court. He won, but many websites wrote about this, contemplating the issue.

On some websites I read that triphenyl phosphate is the chemical that might me ever worse than BPA. It has to be said that all the articles were written earlier than 2015, so maybe there is more evidence.

Use a glass bottle

I wish someone made a glass that you cannot break. That's the obstacle that prevents me from using this material.

There was a case of independent organisation going over tritan with a fine-tooth comb.

What independent organization? Please provide a specific reference.

They had found some evidence which weren't good for the producer, so he decided to go to court. He won, but many websites wrote about this, contemplating the issue.

What evidence? Please provide some details and a reference for the source of your information.

Who is "he" that won? The independent organization or the manufacturer? Please provide a reference to the court case.

On some websites I read that triphenyl phosphate is the chemical that might me ever worse than BPA. It has to be said that all the articles were written earlier than 2015, so maybe there is more evidence.

What websites? Please provide some specific references.

Synopsis? BPA is bad, BPA-free bottles are bad, the company behind tritan is bad, the whole worlds is bad.

This is a science discussion. I had hoped you were serious about your question. Why not give some clarity to those who are engaging in it with you? There's no judgement going on, so I'm not sure why your attitude suggests we're out of line asking for some clarity.

If you wrap them in cheap jute twine, you get some shock resistance, and you can make yourself a carrying strap, too!

Yeah and it is actually really easy to do. You could also make a wicker basket to hold them. If you have a large amount of twine you can make rope.

Edited by fiveworlds

From what I can see it all started from this place: http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/tritan-certichem-eastman-bpa-free-plastic-safe

Here's what manufacturer has to say: http://www.eastman.com/Markets/Tritan_Safe/Pages/Get_the_Facts.aspx

This is a science discussion. I had hoped you were serious about your question. Why not give some clarity to those who are engaging in it with you? There's no judgement going on, so I'm not sure why your attitude suggests we're out of line asking for some clarity.

Funny thing: I was completely serious with that. These articles can be sum up like this.