Detection of torchships by exhaust plume

Ivan Tuzikov

Yeah, probably if a descent vehicle have to land and than take off, well, should this happened in the 20th century people would have discovered the sites of landing and launch, imho.

Even if you used nuclear power you would still have to aerobrake an object the size of a significant fraction of the Saturn V moon rocket then spread radioactive debris all over thousands of square miles of territory to take off even that assumes some technology we really do not have...

Any space craft that obeyed the laws of the universe we know of would have to have a significant infrared heat signature, waste heat would have to be shed in some way..

Edited by Moontanman

Even if you used nuclear power you would still have to aerobrake an object the size of a significant fraction of the Saturn V moon rocket then spread radioactive debris all over thousands of square miles of territory to take off even that assumes some technology we really do not have...

Any space craft that obeyed the laws of the universe we know of would have to have a significant infrared heat signature, waste heat would have to be shed in some way..

And in case of chemical rocket?

And in case of chemical rocket?

Even more unlikely, I would bet that we can't make metals strong enough to aerobrake an object the mass and size of the Saturn V much less land it and take off and yes it would still have an enormous infrared signature...

Well, maybe my next two questions is slightly off-top, but could somebody plesase answer me:

1) is it possible to parachute jump a human (or other living being) from aerobraking rocket in order not to land the rocket and hide the fact of flyby?

2) is it possible to detect distinctive traces of rocket fuel of flyby rocket in earth/water and the traces left in space?

Edited by Ivan Tuzikov

Well, maybe my next two questions is slightly off-top, but could somebody plesase answer me:

1) is it possible to parachute jump a human (or other living being) from aerobraking rocket in order not to land the rocket and hide the fact of flyby?

2) is it possible to detect distinctive traces of rocket fuel of flyby rocket in earth/water and the traces left in space?

May I ask a question? Are you suggesting an alien being could pass as a human?