The binding margin problem

studiot

Is it because modern day programmers have never heard of a hole punch or is it due to something more sinister?

I refer to the modern practice of failing to provide a proper binding margin on documents designed for computer printout.

Organisations large and small, government and private seem more and more prone to this failing.

Here is an example.

Only the left hand column heading is detroyed in this case, but I have plenty of invoices where consignment information is lost.

post-74263-0-89771900-1453917225_thumb.jpg

Would you not use a plastic pocket?? It is more likely to have been typed in word as many of these companies hire secretaries and get them to do the invoicing too. A programmer could just table {margin-left:30px;}

a4_plastic_pocket_20pk_hero.jpg

Edited by fiveworlds

5,000 invoices would require 5,000 plastic pockets.

Do you seriously have that many though? I have at most seven or eight at any one time just throw them in the fire after a while.

And the pockets are bigger so require abnormal sized ring binders.

Which you can pick up in your local tesco for about £2.50

Edited by fiveworlds

Thank you both for your interest.

I am trying to promote old fashioned virtues as known by any competent secretary.

When sending people important pieces of paper (fiveworlds I have to store these documents as part of the accounts for at least 7 years HMRC rules and UK business law).

It is sad to think that you youngsters think that standard good practice that has developed over a couple of centuries is of little consequence and somehow the recipient's ( ie my) fault.

Edited by studiot

Not suggesting that, only offering solutions.

I know in the US facsimiles are sometimes enough for record retention, I don't know what UK law says on the subject though.

Organization is still a necessity, just done a bit differently. Granted does depend on what needs organizing. Never had reason to store invoices, but other documents, sure.

Edited by Endy0816