Brain information

Is the mind between the brain casing and the top of the head at the inside of the head or Is the mind spiritual since I can hear my voice in my mind, or is my mind inside my brain? How can the mind be over matter when the mind is matter as well? Paul pauljames@brmemc.net cuioursone

Then how can I hear a voice in my mind, is my mind spiritual?

Can you imagine feeling how burning hot a stovetop might be if you touched it? Or what a sunflower looks like even though you're in a dark closet? How about a skunk, remember that smell?

Memory and imagination, not spirituality. You hear a voice in your mind the same way you feel the stove in your mind. Nothing is triggering any auditory, tactile, olfactory, or visual receptors. You remember, and imagine new situations and scripts for the voice in your mind.

Strange,

Then how can I hear a voice in my mind, is my mind spiritual?

Why does the mind need to be "spiritual" for you to be able to hear a voice in your mind, or see a picture in your "mind's eye", or like the taste of chocolate, or enjoy remembering the taste of chocolate, or admire a sunset?

The brain does all that. And allows us to be amazed about it, as well. Amazing.

From another post: Here an interesting

, which attempts to explain the idea of “’thinks’ in the absence of language”. This link will take you to a YouTube video providing an introduction to the Corollary Discharge Theorem, which provide one explanation in neuroscience for our inner voice.

• 3 months later...

Maybe you could visit this site to get some information about the difference between mind and brain. advertising link deleted

Edited by Phi for All
ad link removed per rule 2.7

A lot of the grey matter of the brain is found on the outer surface of the brain (ie. The cerebral cortex). So if you are asking for pure anatomical localisation of the conscious mind it could be the cerebral cortex.

A lot of the grey matter of the brain is found on the outer surface of the brain (ie. The cerebral cortex). So if you are asking for pure anatomical localisation of the conscious mind it could be the cerebral cortex.

Yet consider that such a complex thing as conscience cannot be allocated to single neurons firing. Our white matter is, in the very complex accomplishments of the organ system that makes us who we are, at least as important, if not even more important, than the grey matter.

Additionally, I reckon you acknowledge the ignorance of argueing that memory is stored [and] accomplished by our hippocampus. Our brain wouldn't make us who we are if it were that simple. It has been shown that memory of e.g. certain senses is also 'stored' in certain specific area's involved in neural processing of those senses.

I'm not sure, though, that if one were to resect his primary visual area, and he would be asked to visualize in front of him, in his mind, something he actively saw the previous day, he'd be able to do it. In the same line, I'm not very informated on the difference of importance of hippocampal memory storage vs. related sense-specific cortical memory storage ...

Complexity of our CNS, how can one not love it ... It makes us what, or rather, 'who' we are, what we think, what we experiene, our memories, our emotions, conscience and cognition ... Everything that makes us human, formed by that 2% body mass in - let us admit - the very fragile and embryologically poorly chosen protrusion of our core: our skull. Vague, unknown, fragile, fascinating. And superior (give me one organ system, one tissue, one damn cell [for the histology nerds, I do not take pleasure in dead cells], which is not affected by the CNS). One can reckon an organ system this complex to be prone to pathologies as fascinating and as complex as the system itself (e.g. Balint syndrome), leaving us with diseases not only making us sick as such, but also affecting who we are and a lot we experience (heck, even an ICP that's a bit elevated leaves us agitated). Wouldn't it just be a true privilege to be given the responsibility to treat these life and mind altering pathologies, restoring not only one's vital functions, yet contributing to the restoration of all the beauty he gets to experience? ^_^

---

Ah, by the way, OP, a bit off-topic, but I've had trouble pronunciating your nickname in my head. I was genuinely convinced you loved corticosteroids that much that you chose one to be your nickname.

Until I figured there had to be a space.

Probably a bit biased since I'm studying endocrinology physiology now.

Ah well. Back to my books. Have fun.

Ta-ta.

Edited by Function