French Biotech Scientists Patent Creation Of Sperm

EdEarl

Collectively Conscious

A few months ago scientists from France claimed that they could create sperm in a dish. They announced that they had used biotechnology to create fully functioning semen from genetic material. The same researchers have now taken out a patent on the material, only somewhat explaining their technique. ...

I wonder if their partial explanation is hiding something besides a viable biological process. Moreover, this process pushes at the edges of law and ethics. Who will be the father and who is responsible if the child has serious and expensive medical problems. What happens to the baby if the mother dies is child birth. I think I am opposed to such a patent being issueds ; although, I haven't considered the issues fully. I think this will be hotly contested, more than Monsanto's GMO program.

Realistically this would simply be an option for couples having trouble conceiving. If there's enough demand multiple avenues to the same end result will be found. Swapping out DNA in donor sperm, utilizing another cell type, injecting parental DNA directly into an egg and starting things going, etc.

Need to see their results before speculating too much. I've heard of promising results in attempts to create female sperm and male eggs. This being a simpler case(male sperm from male cells) it wouldn't surprise me if they had success but would still like to see some data first.

Edited by Endy0816

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.