Android Install

fiveworlds

So I have discovered that my tablet was "generic" made in china (which I suppose I should have expected off a tablet my brother bought online). While it being made in china isn't a problem I'm sure they just put the hardware together and install the operating system. I have come to suspect that the android version installed on the device contains a Trojan virus allowing them to install apps, change the browser homepage etc after this happened to me i went searching online for people experiencing similar problems. I have decided that in order to solve this problem my best course of action would be to completely reinstall (flash) android which is possible using the android debug bridge and the android device bios (hold volume buttons and power when turning on). I have been looking for a new version of android which would be compatible with the hardware already on the device but all I can find are nexus updates etc which say that installing on an incompatible device can cause problems. All i have installed is clash of clans at the moment which made me suspect the os. Of course the most suspicious thing is that in youtube videos of my android version tapping the version number starts a video with the kitkat logo which doesn't exist on mine.

Edited by fiveworlds

Thanks for the info I might do that I have been looking at various roms still haven't decided which one. It is kinda scary because i don't want to break the tablet but at the same time the virus is breaking things and if I don't reinstall soon it might do permanent damage. This is a screenshot of it last night looks like adware but the default music app doesn't work anymore.

BypvppE.jpg

I thought I would be extra careful so I took my tablet apart it has an A33 marked quad core processor manufactured by allwinner technology https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allwinner_Technology.

So this is what it looks like inside

g1tsUPQ.jpg

Plus a close up of the processor. My phone camera isn't great

SYVXVuz.jpg

So I have gotten as far as figuring I should probably use LiveSuit it is an installation application for windows/linux/mac developed by allwinner technologies http://linux-sunxi.org/LiveSuit

I managed to root my device using https://www.kingoapp.com/android-root/download.htm

Edited by fiveworlds

• 3 weeks later...

You mean they have a rootkit on the kernel? i use c4droid, get a terminal and use logcat to find out the parent ID of any malicious looking stuff. If you have root you should be able to remove it unless it's hidden very well, could probably follow all processes using code if needed. If its embedded in the kernel itself as in root /init etc then get a new build that your phone can handle.

You on linux or windows or dual?

Edited by DevilSolution

You mean they have a rootkit on the kernel? i use c4droid, get a terminal and use logcat to find out the parent ID of any malicious looking stuff. If you have root you should be able to remove it unless it's hidden very well, could probably follow all processes using code if needed. If its embedded in the kernel itself as in root /init etc then get a new build that your phone can handle.

Yeah I managed to delete everything suspicious looking after I rooted it. One app keeps reinstalling though and then installing other adware it is just marked as a number.

You on linux or windows or dual?

I use windows at the moment.