RAM upgrading

H2SO4

Im not a computer genius, but i do like computers and know a resonable amount aboput them. I had a old win 95 and it was the top of the line back then, and it totaly went to crap(like all computers). I have a nice dell (hyper threading, cd burner, dvd drive, pentium 4 with ht tech, 144 gig hard drive, 512 mb of ram, ect) and i dont want it to go to crap as fast as the last computer i had. I want to slowly upgrade it to keep it nice. The first thing i want to add is a some RAM sticks. I understand that you need to get the same type of ram thats in there or it wont work right. I wrote down what was on the ram sticks and wroe it in notepad. Im sorry if its kinda crude:

RAM STICKS:

BRAND: INFINION

IT SAYS 32Mx64

CAPACITY: 256 MB, DDR, 400, CL3

THIS WAS ALSO WRITTEN ON IT: PC3200U-30330-AO(OR ZERO)

Im posting this because i want some one to explain to me what i should by. I want to upgrade my ram because i found out that it greatly improves multitasking and speed.

If you have 512 MB, that should be adequete for most tasks, unless

you're doing high end image processing and the like. I'm not sure you'll

get the speed up your hoping for.

If you take the info you posted (minus the brand name) to any vaguely

reputable store they should be able to tell you the right ones, and if they

can't then RUN! from the place. :)

As for good stores to buy from in your country, that's probably better

left to a local.

Cheers.

If you have 512 MB' date=' that should be adequete for most tasks, unless

you're doing high end image processing and the like. I'm not sure you'll

get the speed up your hoping for.[/quote']

I don't know so much about that; XP is quite a memory eater when it comes to anything. If you're running something like HL2/Doom3/etc then you're going to want some more memory - it makes everything run a lot faster.

I don't know so much about that; XP is quite a memory eater when it comes to anything. If you're running something like HL2/Doom3/etc then you're going to want some more memory - it makes everything run a lot faster.

Well on matters of XP I'll have to defer to your more extensive experience,

I find Win98SE and Linux breeze along on 512MB.

Cheers.

For XP and gaming you really need more ram,1024mb.

You wont actually feel the benefits,but your computer will.Anyway ram is inexpensive at the moment so buy some.

I dont like infinion,crucial is better but the maker isnt relevant. Anyway you have already said what you need ;

another stick of 512mb PC3200 DDR400-400mhz bus(this is motherboard bus speed)

Jeez i remember 32mb sdram pc100

hmm, it depends what games you want to play really. If your like me and you like the nostalgia of old games such as DOOM 2, then really 64Mb will suffice. However, with XP, im running now on 256mb and im fine.

Does the new memory have to be the same as the old i.e. You couldnt go and buy a 128mb memory for your PC if its 256mb already and then have a combined total of 384MB?

Yes of course you can just get a stick of 128mb to go with your 256mb but really the price of ram now(which you know changes daily up /down)and the difference between them is marginal,so i recommend you spend the few extra pounds and buy 512mb to go with your 256mb memory.

Hmm i thikn im using 133mhz BUS speed.

Using CPU-z i have found the following;

in "clocks"

it says;

FSB: 133.3MHz

Bus Speed 533.2Mhz

I cant find any 533.2mhz bits of RAM, so is it 133.3Mhz then?

The two RAM sticks need to be compatable with each other... e.g. if one is pc3200 the other must be.

Also make sure it's compatable with your motherboard, if you're currently using pc3200 it'll be fine, but if you say wanted to upgrade to faster RAM you'd need to check your motherboard can handle it.

so do i need a PC3200U stick? I do alot of multitasking so that would be great for more RAM

Yes you need ?mb of pc3200 DDR400.

Hmm i thikn im using 133mhz BUS speed.

Using CPU-z i have found the following;

in "clocks"

it says;

FSB: 133.3MHz

Bus Speed 533.2Mhz

I cant find any 533.2mhz bits of RAM' date=' so is it 133.3Mhz then?[/quote']

You need ?mb of pc133 sdram

The two RAM sticks need to be compatable with each other... e.g. if one is pc3200 the other must be.

mmm...Not really as long as its DDR......if you have two different sticks in all it means is your whole ram runs at the lower speed eg pc2700(not that you would want to)...I think your motherboard should also have 2 slots for Sdram.

If you've got a Dell' date=' you should be able to go on line, input your tag or serial number, request 1024 meg of ram (or whatever). They'll know exactly what you need.[/quote']

Yes usually the comp version is printed on the tower eg dell 4550...you also get manuals and a print out of all relevant serials(if by any chance you dont have this all serials are on the back of the tower case)