Spark Gap In A Super Conductor?

RuthlessOptimism

Hello,

This is a very odd question that I was wondering if anyone could share some insight on. So I've been reading about the history of science lately in particular how Joseph John Thomson discovered the electron / cathode rays. The discription of the device(s) he used is that he basically had an evacuated glass tube (vacuum tube) with a spark gap in it, and if you apply a potential difference across that gap electrons are ejected out of the material comprising the spark gap creating a "cathode ray". This effect is enhanced if the metal comprising the spark gap is hot.

My question is what would happen if the metal was instead cold, like extremely cold, to the point that it was superconducting (assuming the metal is made from the right material)? Basically I am just curious as to how a spark gap, or even a capacitor behaves inside of a circuit once it becomes superconductive (for no particular reason this is just interesting).

Thank you.

This is a very odd question that I was wondering if anyone could share some insight on. So I've been reading about the history of science lately in particular how Joseph John Thomson discovered the electron / cathode rays. The discription of the device(s) he used is that he basically had an evacuated glass tube (vacuum tube) with a spark gap in it, and if you apply a potential difference across that gap electrons are ejected out of the material comprising the spark gap creating a "cathode ray". This effect is enhanced if the metal comprising the spark gap is hot.

You should analyze this from point of view of particles.

Electrons gather on negative electrode.

If there is nothing else, the only attractive force is placed at positive electrode (far away on other end of tube).

But if there is "heating element", that's wire (high resistance) through which there is flowing current (or there is gathering positive charge (much less than on 2nd positive)), it allows electrons to liberate more easily (because it's at very short distance from negative electrode).

So electron is ejected from electrode, and "feels" attraction from positive electrode on the other end of tube, and is accelerated to it..

Tubes with heating require smaller voltage/less energy, to start working. Even though they are harder to build.

My question is what would happen if the metal was instead cold, like extremely cold, to the point that it was superconducting (assuming the metal is made from the right material)? Basically I am just curious as to how a spark gap, or even a capacitor behaves inside of a circuit once it becomes superconductive (for no particular reason this is just interesting).

Gap has sense only for elements that are made of solid state material, and vacuum (eventually pretty rare gas) is between them.

After exceeding some threshold voltage, breakdown voltage, electrons are starting flowing between electrodes, even though there is nothing there between them (vacuum).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdown_voltage

Cosmic rays, primary and secondary rays, as well as decays of radioactive particles, and isotopes, play significant role in causing spark.

Edited by Sensei