Paris attacks

MigL

Overtone,

The distinction that is difficult to make, is when a person is a Pacifist, and when a person is anti-American.

If we fight a proxy war when we get involved in an area, we are already involved and have an interest in winning.

Sunni against Shite violence and murder and Shite against Sunni violence and murder, may or may not be directly linked to the earlier Iraq- Iran war, or then and current divides between the Saudis and the Persians. Stuff that happened 600 years ago and stuff that happened 1000 years ago still causes some flap in the area. So you knew there would still be trouble. That is like saying we should not get involved with the Israel Palestinian problems, because any fool can see we will just be mired in decades of mistrust and war.

If we had some hope of bringing peace and democracy to Iraq, it was not unuseful to try.

And I don't agree it is nonsense to wonder why Saddam lit that trench. His stated reason was to defend the city as it would have been defended in the old days. Silly. He had other reasons for digging that trench and lighting it on fire. And what is nonsensical about suggesting he drove some equipment over the border into Syria and dug some holes in the ground and put some stuff in the holes. Where did Assad get the WMD we divested him of a few years ago?

Regards, TAR

I think perhaps you are an ignorant dupe if you think Saddam was not trying to hide stuff from the inspectors.

The distinction that is difficult to make, is when a person is a Pacifist, and when a person is anti-American.

I'm not a pacifist. Even so I don't have any problem telling pacifists from anti-Americans.

I think perhaps you are an ignorant dupe if you think Saddam was not trying to hide stuff from the inspectors.

I don't. I think he was failing. I think that because I kept track of the inspectors, and their reports.

And I don't agree it is nonsense to wonder why Saddam lit that trench.
What is nonsense is to think he got rid of the WMDs the W administration said he had, in any such fashion.

And what is nonsensical about suggesting he drove some equipment over the border into Syria and dug some holes in the ground and put some stuff in the holes
Nothing. As long as you don't try to claim he transported and put the nuclear weapons program, the nerve gas manufacturing centers, the missile development operations, and the rest of the stuff W&Co said he had, into those holes, without a trace left behind.

If we had some hope of bringing peace and democracy to Iraq, it was not unuseful to try.
We brought war and chaos and theocratic rule to Iraq, exactly as was predicted by sane and competent and knowledgable people. That was not useful. That was a horrible crime, a very bad thing to have done.

That they were bringing war rather than peace was of course obvious. But in addition, there is no evidence that W&Cheney had any plans of bringing democracy to Iraq any time soon.

Edited by overtone