Space and Space

Skins

I don't want to present a new theory but something to think about.

Within our universe we have a lot of space and it interacts with matter and fields and generally obeys the laws of physics or at least doesn't stop them. Gravity passes through it as does magnetic and electromagnetic waves.

When discussing string theory I see that Michio Kaku suggests that there may be eleven dimensions. These dimensions have membranes or branes I think was a term he used. I believe he suggested that the universe may be the surrounded by a membrane and considered it the 11th dimension.

Also string theory suggests the possibility of multiverses and that they may not have the same laws of physics as our own universe.

Space from our universe is expanding-into (I like the word displacing better) the void (space) outside our universe.

Now considering string theory and multiverses that may have different laws of physics then the space within our universe complies with the laws of physics but would the space outside our universe which we are displacing have to comply....

Maybe not.

If is doesn't have to comply with the laws of physics wouldn't that open up some interesting possibilities. i.e. maybe it wouldn't allow gravity to propagate through it.

Now I know there is no way of achieving the following but what if you could overlap two force fields (I know this is science fiction) over each other lets say under say a flying saucer then expand one field out in a curve so it leaves a void between the two fields so nothing is allowed to enter. Would the void/space inside this envelope be governed by the laws of physics in our universe or is there a chance that the void in this field could be outside our laws of physics and prevent gravity and/or other fields.

Sorry there must be plenty of weird suggestions put of this site but.... about 40 years ago when I was about 12 I saw a flying saucer go over my house it was about 20-25 metres wide and only about 50 metres above the house moving slowly then took off into the horizon with incredible speed and I have always wondered how is flew (and I am assuming it blocks gravity or something similar). We will have this technology one day....

and I think it is closer than people think. Bring on the answers Hadron.

Edited by Skins

If is doesn't have to comply with the laws of physics wouldn't that open up some interesting possibilities. i.e. maybe it wouldn't allow gravity to propagate through it.

If you are talking about Brane Worlds, then we understand the forces of the standard model to be confined to the brane (or stack or branes) as these are described in terms of open strings starting and ending in our world. The gravitational degree of freedom is described in terms of closed strings and so these are not constrained to a brane or branes: gravity can propagate in the bulk.

Now, given some other brane sitting in the bulk, it could well have very different gauge fields on it and so very different physics.