Which nerves can stimulate the Voice Box

I have a few questions regarding the nerves of the Larynx/Voice Box:

Is there anywhere in the throat area where the laryngeal nerves are exposed to allow electrodes to be placed for electrical stimulation of the Voice Box/Vocal Chords muscles? For instance is it possible, like the facial nerve in the middle ear, to attach an electrode (Electrode that is stuck on as opposed to punctured with needles) on the laryngeal nerve in the throat or does it require a needle electrode and exposure of the nerve through surgery etc.?

Are there any nerves exposed in the middle ear cavity that also through the use of electrical stimulation will cause the muscles in the larynx to contract/spasm if an electrode was attached?

Can you let me know all of the nerves that could cause muscle spasms in the larynx/Voice Box?

Are there any nerves in the Voice Box/Larynx that can cause stimulation of the ear drum/Middle Ear? I know of the Arnold Reflex and the vagus nerve but are there any other nerves that go to the middle ear/inner ear that also originate from the larynx/Voice Box or vice versa?

Thanks

Barry

• 1 month later...

It may be harder with the laryngeal nerves. They branch off the vagus, which is entirely visceral. The recurrently laryngeal nerves loop around the subclavian and ligamentum arteriosum; the superior laryngeal nerves branch off in the neck around where the thyroid gland is. So it may not be like the facial nerve with the chorda tympani or nerve to the stapedius are exposed in the middle ear.

Perhaps try trigeminal nerve with tensor tympani? Or perhaps tympanic nerve from the inferior salivary nucleus/glossopharyngeal nerve. It may be possible to test parotid salivation with eletrode stimulation of the tympanic nerve.