Genetic Testing

olive19

Hello Everyone! I am wondering about everyone's position on genetic testing? Do you guys agree with it or are you totally against the idea? I wrote a paper in my college English class about genetic testing and posted it on a blog the rules prohibit me from advertising, so I'll post more about it here in this thread. I feel that it is a great method to prevent or start treatment early on diseases, and a way for scientists to learn about what genes cause certain mutations.

Edited by Phi for All
advertising removed per rule 2.7

fiveworlds, I see your point about the chance of increasing abortions. If genetic testing would become a common thing there would have to be rules put in place to prevent people from doing that. Maybe there could be an age restriction or if you choose to get the genetic test, abortion is no longer an option? As I wrote in my paper, "awareness of genetic mutations does more good than harm"(genetics). Hopefully when these people discover that their child is not what they expected, it will make them better people. In a perfect world, every parent would love their child no matter what genetics they have.

Edited by olive19

I remember watching a documentary on it and they were talking about the hypothetical issues. Like people being able to select for certain traits. That would hugely effect the future of mankind. Like if you could select for gender, eye color etc. If our capacity for genetic testing and modification improved you could even select for intelligence or physical fitness traits potentially creating 'super humans'.

Who knows what that effect would have on society or humans in general.