Anyone here using Windows 10?

studiot

I'm not trying to promote a product on behalf of a company.

With respect to Linux and new hardware, I'm not saying the O/S won't work, but many manufacturers are for whatever reason, dropping support for Linux.

Any new drivers may not be provided, you can still use the generic built-in stuff that Linux uses, but this does lack in terms or performance and features, including proper offloading support (networking) or hardware acceleration.

Another note, Linux is a bare-bone sort of system, to some this may be a benefit, not having all the extra options or properties available to change certain aspects of the hardware functionality... But to most people including I.T. experts who like to change the network adapter settings or the sound cards sample rates or other features, this lack of functionality in Linux is annoying.

For instance, as I'm writing this reply, I have basically 2 options for my sound.. On or off. I can turn the volume up & down. Can I change the frequencies (sample rates) or adjust any other settings? - No, they simply don't exist.

I was having issues with the network adaptor in Linux, I need to turn off TCP & ARP offloading to stop it from dropping out randomly...

I can turn off some of it, if I load up a terminal window, and type in a few lines of commands but as soon as I restart, it's back to the way it was, have to type in the commands again, or figure out how to script in Linux, make a script then stick it in the right area and make sure it is applied at start-up... which is no easy task for anyone who is not fairly I.T. savvy.

Same goes with the video card, I have an nvidia card in this thing, I can use some older drivers supplied via the repositories but...

I want to change certain features, which don't exist in the Linux version of the nvidia drivers... And when you do change them, once you log out or restart, it's back to the way it was.

Figuring out how to get these settings to permanently "stick" across reboots is a pain in the as*.

What about the latest version of the Adobe Flash player plug-in?

Nope... You can't view certain sites or access content, your stuck with flash version 11.2, even stated on the Adobe site when you try to upgrade - "No longer supporting Linux, 11.2 is the final version".

Same goes for things like WireShark (networking tool), the newer versions are not available for Linux, sure you could download the source code and then compile a package and make it available.... if you know how or could be bothered to do so..

Despite all Canonical's efforts in trying to make Ubuntu (and other variants) simple, more user friendly and compatible... They are still about a decade behind both Windows & Mac.

With plenty of useful and mainstream software NOT available on Linux, with the lack of up to date drivers, lack of flash support and some manufacturers of both hardware & software "dropping support" for Linux... It's not looking good for anyone who wants to continue using Linux further down the road for a proper Desktop setup, not just for basic internet related stuff and some games..

For most hardware & software providers, the reason they no longer care or never did is due to this fact: Linux (all of them combined!) only accounts for less than 2% of the entire Desktop/Laptop market.

For the latest features and proper hardware support, Linux is a no no.

For business, Linux is terrible, it's severely lacking business-grade features and functionality.

For user-friendliness, Linux is still lacking and not so user friendly anyway.

For software developers, Linux doesn’t have enough market share to warrant making software or to even "port" the software over to it.

For gamers, Linux "might" work if you use Wine and can find the wine trick that works for that particular game, but again using the latest drivers that may be needed.... Nope.

HOWEVER..

For the random odd-ball that just thinks he's cool for using Linux or wants to access many web sites and other "shifty" content that could contain viruses or just wants something to play with that’s simple and can't do much... then yeah, sure, use Linux...

It also works out great for hackers and "some" I.T. people that may need to use it to access certain systems or raid arrays, but mostly for network issues (configuring switches/routers, diagnostics).

As I have said exactly all this time & time again at random places, I will ask it again here:

If both Windows & Linux were FREE, which one do you think everyone would use?

Now what about if you had to pay up to $250 to use Windows, but Linux was FREE... which one do you think people would want to use?

Wait, hold the boat, what's that Angry Intellect... People ARE paying good money to use Windows and Linux is already FREE???

Gee I wonder why that is. And no, it's not marketing, it's because of the reasons I just mentioned. Along with many random glitches, bugs, installation problems (with half of the flavours of Linux) and lack of up to date hardware and software support.

The only argument anyone could have for not wanting to go with Windows 10 (or Mac if your a simpleton..) is because of "Privacy issues".

Guess what, Ubuntu also sends out your usage and setup details to Canonical, and Firefox that comes with Ubuntu by default, also sends out these details to Mozilla.

Using an iPhone or iPad? Using an Android based phone/tablet? Windows phone/tablet?

THEY ALL SEND OUT TONS OF INFORMATION ABOUT YOU BACK TO THE COMPANIES.

With Windows 10, They do inform you of what gets sent out, how it is used, where to find the privacy agreement and even where to go and what to click to DISABLE this kind of feedback to Microsoft. They explain what it does and what will happen if you turn it off, it's entirely up to you to decide if you want it left on or turned off.

In relation to that silly and fake I might add "post" about "Microsoft admits the spying cannot be stopped in Windows 10"... They never said that, it's a complete load of sh*t.

You should get your news directly from the source, not post something that was entirely fictitious and probably posted on a site that is simply anti-Microsoft or even worse, paid by one of their rivals to put out those sorts of false claims in hopes of spreading fear and distrust with them.

You have no idea just how many web sites, reviews and statements are actually all done by people that are paid to do these kinds of things, it's extremely wide-spread and even slipping over to "reputable" sites, with certain editors (writers) of review sites or tech blogs being paid under the table to say these things.

It's like watching tennis or soccer.... then finding out years later that most of it was all bullsh*t! A lot of the games, the players and even the head officials had been paid off to throw a match or do something wrong on purpose, cheat in some way etc...

But with the internet, with reviews, comments, posts, blogs, articles... This sort of "dodgy" practice has been going on for years and is only getting worse, no one knows & no one cares, because it's so common that everyone has just accepted this fact and the ones that do know, know exactly what to look out for, who to trust and who to not trust, but the larger majority just reads something on a few random web sites and thinks it must be true.

FYI:

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia either... Half the stuff has been edited or changed to tell a different story or "skew" the facts a little.

I know because.... I purposely go about changing random articles on Wiki in little bits at a time to see what gets fact checked and what doesn’t.

I then show people I know the "changes" I had made and how it's still up there as factual on Wiki for the world to read... I'm not evil, I'm making a point.

Another FYI, I have done approximately 700 upgrades on different businesses & companies systems from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10. I only ever saw 2 computers with minor problems relating to the nvidia display driver which needed to be removed then re-installed again, So as a just in case, I remove that driver before I run the upgrades then install the latest one after the upgrade is complete.

Every single customer has stated "We love Windows 10! It's just faster then Windows 7, and that new browser is faster for all the sites we access!" - Even I didn't expect that much positive feedback from them, I would have thought some office workers would hate the new design or have some issues with it... But with all the different hardware & software these completely different companies had in use, everything worked just fine, and did provide better performance even on older hardware.

I won't be posting anything else in this tread, if you still have issues or comments in relation to anything I just said, then your the one with issues. Everything I talked about is factual, tested, proven in real-world many times over.

I still use Linux here & there to keep up with the different systems available, I mostly use it to play around & do the occasional "White-Hat" projects/contracts for counter-hacking & information gathering on behalf of companies.

Edited by The Angry Intellect

In relation to that silly and fake I might add "post" about "Microsoft admits the spying cannot be stopped in Windows 10"... They never said that, it's a complete load of sh*t.

You should get your news directly from the source, not post something that was entirely fictitious and probably posted on a site that is simply anti-Microsoft or even worse, paid by one of their rivals to put out those sorts of false claims in hopes of spreading fear and distrust with them.

You have no idea just how many web sites, reviews and statements are actually all done by people that are paid to do these kinds of things, it's extremely wide-spread and even slipping over to "reputable" sites, with certain editors (writers) of review sites or tech blogs being paid under the table to say these things

It is a pity that your main on topic response was the above.

Such a response is proof positive you have little or no idea what you are talking about.

Posts largely devoted to discussing linux are surely off topic in a thread specifically about Windows 10.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I started this thread to share information about something that will affect most over the coming years.

So here is my latest installment.

Last week I was called to fix a failed accounts PC in a small aerospace manufacturing company.

We agreed the best solution was to replace and discussed with Sage and HMRC about the virtues of W7 v W10.

We were assured that the Accounts, Payroll and Tax packages would run happily on W10 so we should go for this.

Naturally we needed the pro or business version and like many businesses had been waiting for this to appear.

Now we deal with the largest trade supplier of electrical and electronic equipment and components in Europe and I had just received the February 2016 update to their current 4000 page catalogue.

Great, I thought,

A new range of lenovo W10 business machines, ready to go with W10 loaded.

Better a range of W10 installation disks for sale!

Better yet, 5 in stock.

So I ordered one, with intention of getting the rest if it proved satisfactory.

Roll on this Monday (didn't Abba write a song about this?)

When I went to install the new machine, guess what.

Yup still W7 in the box, although it was labelled W10 and had a W10 licence.

:-(

No it was not a mistake, The supplier's Technical Director said

"We only move boxes, We are not responsible for what is in them"

And the installation disks.

Well they are just figments decorating the catalogue pages.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I started this thread to share information about something that will affect most over the coming years.

So here is my latest installment.

Last week I was called to fix a failed accounts PC in a small aerospace manufacturing company.

We agreed the best solution was to replace and discussed with Sage and HMRC about the virtues of W7 v W10.

We were assured that the Accounts, Payroll and Tax packages would run happily on W10 so we should go for this.

Naturally we needed the pro or business version and like many businesses had been waiting for this to appear.

Now we deal with the largest trade supplier of electrical and electronic equipment and components in Europe and I had just received the February 2016 update to their current 4000 page catalogue.

Great, I thought,

A new range of lenovo W10 business machines, ready to go with W10 loaded.

Better a range of W10 installation disks for sale!

Better yet, 5 in stock.

So I ordered one, with intention of getting the rest if it proved satisfactory.

Roll on this Monday (didn't Abba write a song about this?)

When I went to install the new machine, guess what.

Yup still W7 in the box, although it was labelled W10 and had a W10 licence.

:-(

No it was not a mistake, The supplier's Technical Director said

"We only move boxes, We are not responsible for what is in them"

And the installation disks.

Well they are just figments decorating the catalogue pages.

What you are buying is the licence to use W!0. Just download it off the internet then use the licence number in the box to validate. They are still dickheads though. ;)

Have more than a dozen computers at home. From lowly netbooks, to four core Lenovo laptops, and large 24" all-in-one Desktops ( my new favorites to tinker with ).

All except one of the all-in-one desktops have been upgraded to Win10 and about half of the laptops ( sure enough, a Sony with nVidia graphics ).

I use the Nov15 update on disk to upgrade. This 'pulls' the activation code stored in firmware for win8 devices or asks you to enter the code for Win7 devices.

My first few upgrades were online downloads/installs, but you have to do all the updates first to get the Win10 notification.

Win10 can be easily modified to look/act just like win7, but has the boot-up/shut-down speed of Win8. Some of my laptops running SSDs will boot to the desktop in about 10 secs. And as I become more accustomed to it I don't mind it at all. In fact I like that it automatically syncs to my Windows phone through Outlook.

I think that is the purpose for Microsoft's big push. It will get on computers no matter what. But having a common platform with its phones may help boost its phones ( hardware and apps ) which are currently dominated by Android/iPhone.

Edited by MigL