Nutrient solution for unicellular algae

Moontanman

Does anyone have any experience in growing unicellular algae? I don't have access to lab grade chemicals so I will have to use commercial fertilizers, "Miracle Grow" powder is my easiest choice and it does come in a few different formulations.

I have finally got my fiberglass vat cleaned out and I plan to use about 300 gallons of water and an infusion of green aquarium water than has shown an usual persistence in one of my aquariums.

Any ideas about how much miracle grow to use and or which type, it doesn't have to be perfect but the last time i tried it all I got was a very tough sheet algae which was worthless for my purposes. I am thinking of a 1/4 cup for the entire vat, too much? too little? anyone want to give their two cents worth?

I finally have a fairly active culture of Daphnia magna going in a small container and plan to use it as a starter when i get the vat of green water going...

Do you care what kind, or is this just Daphnia food?

Just food for Daphnia magna but then the daphnia are used to feed my fish so they should be as nutritious as possible but in a non sterile setting I have little control over what kind of microbes actually grow. I am going to set up another vat on my carport for brine shrimp and I will be feeding them powdered algae and powdered garden peas if I can find a local source. The store i used to buy from has closed down. I am considering trying to sell live fish food locally, there is a large demand for it but mostly in the form of trout worms or tubifex neither of which I can grow. I want to break in with a new product and scale up if it seems popular but now it looks like it will have to wait until next spring before i can test the waters. surgery this coming wednesday and at least one more before the first of the year and maybe more as they reconstruct my lower jaw threatens to side track my plans...