PHP v Ruby/Rails

ydoaPs

I'm just starting out with web development. I've got Minecraft and Overviewer running on a home server and I'm thinking of expanding it, and honestly just playing around. Which is better: PHP or Ruby? I've done the PHP module on codeAcademy and i'm about a third of the way through the Ruby module. I think, at this point, I prefer Ruby.

Is one "better", or is it more or less personal preference?

Well php was the first web scripting language. Personally I learned php I can't see much difference between the two. You can run them both on Apache.

But yeah ruby runs CGI, Php runs both CGI and as an apache module. Php as a module is technically faster.

They were working on an apache module for ruby called mod_ruby but I have no idea how successful they were.

Edited by fiveworlds

I think more web servers on the Internet have installed PHP module (standard LAMP).

So when you will move project from home server to the world, it'll be slightly easier to find where to host it.

If you're planning to (or already have) 24/7 running your own server, you might ignore it.

What are you planning to write?

What are your requirements for server-side scripting language?

Edited by Sensei

I think more web servers on the Internet have installed PHP module (standard LAMP).

So when you will move project from home server to the world, it'll be slightly easier to find where to host it.

If you're planning to (or already have) 24/7 running your own server, you might ignore it.

What are you planning to write?

What are your requirements for server-side scripting language?

I'm not sure what all, yet. As far server-side stuff, Overviewer is currently on an Apache server, and that was fairly out of the box; no coding required. The Minecraft server just kind of does its own thing. I was thinking of maybe taking the list of current players and displaying it on a webpage.

Have you looked at Facebook's hack yet? I was asked what I thought about it. They claimed there was limits to php.

Facebook's hack?

It is basically php. I think they got tired waiting for php updates from rasmus

http://hacklang.org/

But if we are talking silly this guy claims to have hacked NASA's website before the first website was published https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_O%27Brien also before the telephone network was even wired where he says he was from. Telecom eireann trialed a card phone system in 1988 in Dublin.

Edited by fiveworlds

this type of questions generally don't have any "real" answers.

But having tried both languages I will give my opinion:

-PHP is more popular so you will find plenty of tutorials and documentation along with a lot of ready to use scripts.

-there are a lot of cheap hosting that offers PHP as opposed to RoR.

-RoR is more elegant than PHP in term of syntax and how you write your whole web application.

-PHP seems like a bunch of functions mixed together with OOP support added later to make it "modern".

But as I said you wont really find any definite answer to your question so just try both and pick anyone that you feel comfortable with.