medical physics or engineering?

physica

I have been given a place at UCL (University College London) for an msc in physics and engineering in medicine. I picked it because I have 5 years accident and emergency experience and it seems like a stable career. However, it has an engineering stream and a physics stream and I have to choose one. Academically I'm interested in anything that I can apply maths to so I would find interest in either field. Therefore the choice boils down to quality of life, earnings, job opportunities and career progression. Which one would you recommend?

I assume the course has some compulsory modules that everyone does and from there you decide on physics or engineering?

What do you plan to do next? That is what you have to ask yourself. Maybe either choice will do, or maybe one option will be more suited. If there seems no real difference in the long run, go with what you think you would enjoy the most.

Yes ultrasound, MRI, ionising imaging and computing in medicine is covered in both streams. The difference is the physics stream focuses on radiotherapy and charged particle interactions, the engineering stream looks at signal processing and control, resp and cardio measurement devices, tissue engineering and biomaterials. In terms of my job I want to do something where pay is good and I get to apply some physics to medical problems. There are clearly jobs in hospitals for medical physics however, I'd love to work for industry. We have an NHS in the UK and I've worked in it for the last 5 years and I'm sick of incompetent lazy people and rampant corruption.