Graphics Tablet for Maths Equations

jwlallen

Hi,

Hope this is in the right place, apologies if not.

I've recently started a Maths & Physics Degree and am just about to embark on my first Maths module. I've been toying with the idea of getting myself a graphics tablet to use on my assignments alongside the Windows Maths Input Panel. I'm not planning on using it day to day as i find it easier to scribble with a pen and paper but thought it would save me quite a bit of time when writing up assessments etc.

I just wondered if this is something any of you guys have experience of and if it was a viable idea. Additionally if you have used these before do you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

James.

But what is your plan actually - do you plan to hand-draw math-problem sketches and graphical analysis or do you plan to actually hand-write some dense math equations?

I guess that having a stylus is easily the best way to do the graphical part of mathematics in digital form (while pencil-and-paper might still be better in some aspects). I am doing all my math on my laptop using keyboard and mouse/touchpad and for sure I dream to have a stylus on hand whenever I need to make a sketch or outline a function graph.

For the 'textual' part of mathematics, I am not sure you will be satisfied with stylus. I learned to use keyboard (it was painful - it took me some 2 years until it become natural) and now I would not change it for a stylus. With stylus you will create graphics, not structured math (and even if you use hand-writing recognition, I am not sure you will be satisfied when some serious volume of math needs to be written).

As you said, maybe the best would be to combine some stylus graphics device with some math-typing software. But I am afraid 'the best' solution is very individual and you might need to try many varieties yourself.

Yes, I know, although I didn't try any... I suppose that such a keyboard can be useful to someone who writes math on a daily basis at his home/workplace. The negative side is that such keyboard is not easily portable and if you need to write math anywhere else then you are in trouble (it is difficult to switch keyboards when you type math - you need to memorize at least three times more keystrokes than is needed to write plain text).

On the other hand, I was in my thirties when I was learning my math-typing, so for someone who is still in their teens it might be much easier.

Thanks for your responses guys.

It was mostly for presentation purposes in essays and assignments so the "showing my working" part. I've had a look at my first assignment and there's going to be a lot of this type of stuff. Even typing out the various stages of say a simultaneous quadratic is a lengthy business on word equation editor.

the only other alternative is LaTex or something similar. Just weighing up my options before I start.

Sorry edited to add ill be using pen and paper for the main work but possibly using the tablet and stylus for the write up.

Edited by jwlallen

Thanks for your responses guys.

It was mostly for presentation purposes in essays and assignments so the "showing my working" part. I've had a look at my first assignment and there's going to be a lot of this type of stuff. Even typing out the various stages of say a simultaneous quadratic is a lengthy business on word equation editor.

the only other alternative is LaTex or something similar. Just weighing up my options before I start.

Sorry edited to add ill be using pen and paper for the main work but possibly using the tablet and stylus for the write up.

I don't know about tablets as I have never used one but I am pretty sure you are gonna have to "fully engage" with latex sooner or later; it gets much easier with practice and I can now just type equations into this website without really thinking (I am a shipping lawyer so not much need for it professionally). Hopefully AJB will see this thread and comment - he teaches Mathematical Physics so would be best to advise; maybe PM him before purchasing if he doesn't post here.

OT - I now use my ipad for lots of notes, drafting, and quotes; some the handwriting display apps are really great and I still produce better initial ideas with a pen than a keyboard and I can email off to colleagues without effort

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/87763-series/#entry853316

The extra colours and ability to seamlessly delete cut paste etc just appeals to the inner geek

Regarding software.... if you are mostly interested in presentation, then hardly there is any competition to LaTeX - it renders the best looking math I have seen. On the more informal side, if you will be looking for a tool to write down your personal math notes and drafts quickly (but more coarsely rendered) then you could try Math-o-mir (Windows).

Thanks for the input guys, genuinely appreciated. On reflection I think I'll just need to do away with this tablet shortcut nonsense and go down the LaTex route, it's always something I can try later but probably not the best idea while I'm studying. In my next module I have to do a part on typesetting of which LaTex is an option along with Word.

Plus, had a look around and LaTex really is just so damn pretty! :)

Thanks again.

LaTex or MathML, which is similar, are all very well but the most common phrase here and on most technical sites is

Did you draw a diagram?

and you can't do this or include a graphic in Tex or MathML.

Anyway here are some free (online) resources:

To build up maths expressions by picking from a list

https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

or

http://www.sciweavers.org/free-online-latex-equation-editor

You can create the expression and produce either a gif graphic or actual LaTex code to place on a page.

To make simple maths drawings algebraic formulae, use tables, spreadsheets and stuff

https://www.geogebra.org/

Edited by studiot