Basic dynamo and jahn teller metal

DevilSolution

Okay so i just read an interesting article on a new superconductor that acts as an insulator, superconductor, metal and magnet aswell as having a very low critical temprature. Now i started investigating exactly what this means, its all very counter intuitive. Im presuming these properties exist in different conditions. The article got me reading into these various properties and i eventually got confused with some of the basic stuff. For example if a super conductor has no resistence at all then ohms law no longer works?

Its also got me confused as to the exact nature of volts and amps as i interpreted them.

So it took me back to some of my roots in elecrics, specifically when creating AC electricity. Is it the voltage that alternates direction? Because from what i know of electrics the voltage is the force that "pushes" the amps. And amps can be seen as the "amount" of electrons. Therefor you cant have a negative current? In any instance having a negative voltage would mean that the total output would be 0 with 1 cycle giving +180 and -180. The same applies to amps, you'd generate 180 spare electrons then take them back? I think perhaps its my comprehension of volts and amps because i know volts are used as "potential difference" between 2 points, but the the potential difference of what? Speed? Ionic charge at those nodes?

Another noob question: If the electrons are being sent down the copper coil and the coil is finite (has a starting point) where are these electrons coming from? I understand that the mechanical energy is being tranformed into electrical i just dont understand where these electrons are coming from. Im guessing the electrons arent coming from the copper or it would change its chemical composition and also eventually run dry. Therefor im presuming the magnet is having some abstract effect on the copper, like taking electrons from nearby atoms or molecules with a high electronegativity? There must be loads floating in the atmosphere + it could stablize the atom but give it an ionic charge (like taking an electron from potassium, giving it the stable valence shell but with the -1 charge). Or is there some electromagnetic relation or force at play?

Finally any ideas of how usefull this new metal could be? (Other than obviously saving energy which is like over 7% loss in heat i think).

Heres the link to the article, i guess you guys will make more sense of it than me:

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-discovered-a-new-state-of-matter-the-jahn-teller-effect

Regards, devilsolution.

...Its also got me confused as to the exact nature of volts and amps as i interpreted them.

So it took me back to some of my roots in elecrics, specifically when creating AC electricity. Is it the voltage that alternates direction? ...

Regards, devilsolution.

It is the polarity that is alternating from plus (+) to minus (-).

The polarity of what? The voltage or current?

The current. Think AC=Alternating Current and DC=Direct Current. The direction of the flow of current in a conductor is constant in DC and changes from one direction to the reverse direction in AC.

The current. Think AC=Alternating Current and DC=Direct Current. The direction of the flow of current in a conductor is constant in DC and changes from one direction to the reverse direction in AC.

Sorry when you say direction how is that relative to amps? (With my presumption that amps equate the "amount" of electrons). Or do i have a misconception of amps? Just read up on wiki and amps are directly proportional to the amount of electrons. Okay so its electrons per second...or coulombs. It does say "the flow rate of charge", but i still dont understand it having direction. I'll do some more reading.

Regards.

Sorry just to clarify exactly what im missing is that if 1 cycle is +180 and -180, the net electron "amount" or "flow" is 0. No elecrons would move down the wire in a single cycle?

After a little more reading it is the volt that alternates, from the sine waveform and then alters the charges direction.

I think i understand now because volts dont "push" exactly they hold the potential for the energy to flow, its relative to distance of an amp losing 1 watt over 2 potential points. Because distance is involved direction is relative. And because volts explain the potential for the energy to flow instead of actually being that "push" force, amps can flow down the wire with this potential force directly related to it. I guess if the voltage potential is above the sine waveform then it would have a probable direction? I also guess copper being so conductive and a good magnet you should have a high potential for the electrons to move?

Just a side note; if per cycle the potential goes +180 then why not release the amps in the + direction of the coil and when its -180 have it come out the opposite end of the coil?

And more importantly where are these electrons coming from?

Edited by DevilSolution

Sorry when you say direction how is that relative to amps? (With my presumption that amps equate the "amount" of electrons). Or do i have a misconception of amps? Just read up on wiki and amps are directly proportional to the amount of electrons. Okay so its electrons per second...or coulombs. It does say "the flow rate of charge", but i still dont understand it having direction. I'll do some more reading.

Regards.

Extending your analogy of voltage pushing, we can imagine the flow of electrons as similar to water flower in a pipe. The voltage then would be the pressure and the amperage the volume. Both flows are 'currents', but we would measure them in different units. A water current we might measure in gallons per minute, and we measure electric current in amps which is coulombs per second.

In the water flow, pressure would be analogous to electrical voltage, and friction would be analogous to electrical resistance.

So, electrons flow in a direction through a conductor just as water flows in a direction through a pipe. Most water flows go in only a single direction, but you could get the equivalent of AC in a filled water pipe by capping both ends with a flexible membrane and then vibrating one membrane cap which would cause the other membrane cap to vibrate in sympathy due to the hydraulic pressure. The speed at which you vibrated the membrane would be analogous to the frequency of an AC electric current, how hard you pushed the membrane would be analogous to the electrical voltage, and how much water is displace by the stretched membrane would be analogous to the electrical current.

Just saw your edit:

Sorry just to clarify exactly what I'm missing is that if 1 cycle is +180 and -180, the net electron "amount" or "flow" is 0. No electrons would move down the wire in a single cycle?

No single electron actually moves from one end to the other of the wire, rather it is a succession of bumps similar to falling dominos.

PS Will be leaving shortly and away from computer. Could be a couple days and don't want you to think I abandoned the subject. Many others here are well suited to answer questions during my absence. :)

Edited by Acme

Most water flows go in only a single direction, but you could get the equivalent of AC in a filled water pipe by capping both ends with a flexible membrane and then vibrating one membrane cap which would cause the other membrane cap to vibrate in sympathy due to the hydraulic pressure. The speed at which you vibrated the membrane would be analogous to the frequency of an AC electric current, how hard you pushed the membrane would be analogous to the electrical voltage, and how much water is displace by the stretched membrane would be analogous to the electrical current.

Just saw your edit:No single electron actually moves from one end to the other of the wire, rather it is a succession of bumps similar to falling dominos.

I understand your analogy but if you have placed 2 membrane caps on the pipe then the water is locked within those caps? Although i understand the shaking of the membranes, would it also make sense to say something like tilting the pipe on the x axis would change the direction? Still confused about the caps.

As to regards to your second quote that actually clears things up alot. Because in DC a battery is classically shown as an example and i automatically presumed electron transfer due to the chemistry of the metal electrodes and the solution. However its an ionic reaction, a charge is carried through the wire to the component which uses the ions, then as the solute reacts with metal the solvent becomes neutral, eventually ionizing all its chemical energy into the component.

(My chemistry book actually said electrons move through the circuit)

So if they only bump into each other then firsly theres no electron transfer which answers my second main question and secondly electrical current is the amount of electrons that bump into each other on the atomic level. It is like you said almost like a constant vibration of electrons. Caused by the magnet. I see.

I understand your analogy but if you have placed 2 membrane caps on the pipe then the water is locked within those caps? Although i understand the shaking of the membranes, would it also make sense to say something like tilting the pipe on the x axis would change the direction? Still confused about the caps.

Yes the water is locked in. Tilting the pipe wouldn't change the back & forth oscillation, but the weight of the water would push the lower membrane out more and dimple the upper membrane inward more. The amount of difference would depend on the specifics of the diameter and length of the pipe and elasticity of the membrane. The water-in-a-pipe analogy to electricity is not perfect in a number of respects, one of which is that water has considerable mass and electrons have little appreciable mass. All else being equal, the electric current in a vertical conductor in a gravitational field is of no practical difference from the electric current in a horizontal conductor.

Yes the water is locked in. Tilting the pipe wouldn't change the back & forth oscillation, but the weight of the water would push the lower membrane out more and dimple the upper membrane inward more. The amount of difference would depend on the specifics of the diameter and length of the pipe and elasticity of the membrane. The water-in-a-pipe analogy to electricity is not perfect in a number of respects, one of which is that water has considerable mass and electrons have little appreciable mass. All else being equal, the electric current in a vertical conductor in a gravitational field is of no practical difference from the electric current in a horizontal conductor.

Yes ive recently come to understand the nature of AC alot more. Fundamentally i was confused with how an electon escapes the coil when it moves back and forth to a net movement of 0. However understanding that electrons actually bounce into each other causing a chain reaction (instead of moving down the line as i imagined, although there is some movement) clarified my understanding. You must have a closed ciruit for electricity to flow and because the electrons bounce into each other instead of move, they simaltaniously move around the circuit, in both directions. I understand that now. Water is a bad analogy because you see water as moving which isnt auch the case with AC current and also having the 2 caps confused me.