Bulk Density

larryG

Hi,

Math is far from being one of my best subjects, so im looking for some help in this area.

How can I measure the bulk density of a dry powder into cubic feet using a 1 cup measurement?

Thanks for any help!

Get an accurate measure of the mass of the material in the cup - so you have x grams GROSS.

Weigh the empty cup. So you have y grams TARE

Substract TARE from GROSS to get z grams NET

Get an accurate measure of the volume that is held by the cup - easiest way to do this is to fill with water and re-weigh.

Number of grams is equal to number of cubic centimetres. So you have W cubic centimetres.

Density in grams/cubic centimetre is D = z / W

There are a million cubic centimetres in a cubic metre so you need to divide by one million

Density in grams/cubic metres is D/1,000,000

But there are a million grams in a metric tonne so to get the more normal measure of metric tonnes per cubic metre you are back at D = z / W

Get an accurate measure of the mass of the material in the cup - so you have x grams GROSS.

Weigh the empty cup. So you have y grams TARE

Substract TARE from GROSS to get z grams NET

Get an accurate measure of the volume that is held by the cup - easiest way to do this is to fill with water and re-weigh.

Number of grams is equal to number of cubic centimetres. So you have W cubic centimetres.

Density in grams/cubic centimetre is D = z / W

There are a million cubic centimetres in a cubic metre so you need to divide by one million

Density in grams/cubic metres is D/1,000,000

But there are a million grams in a metric tonne so to get the more normal measure of metric tonnes per cubic metre you are back at D = z / W

So my sample powder weighs 7.4oz in the measuring cup. When converting it to cubic feet per pound, I come up with 62lbs which can't be right because my sample is very fine almost like flour.

Heaven help us with these antiquated weights and measures. :)

I had forgotten that a cup is a unit of volume

ounces to pounds --> ounces * 0.0625 = pounds

cups to cubic feet --> cups * 0.008355 = cubic feet

7.4 ounces * 0.0625 = 0.4625 pounds

1 cup * .008355 = .008355 cubic feet

Density is mass (ie pounds) divided by volume (ie cubic feet)

Density = 0.4625 / 0.008355 = 55.4 pounds per cubic foot

FYG flour is about 35-45 pounds per cubic foot