How do I write this into a formula?

The Sarah

This guy is trolling me at school, he keeps saying that "You're a Senior, you should know that", but I find this kind of statement to be invalid. Because if Advancing to the level of Senior = Knowing a specific piece of information was indeed true, then why didn't I know that?

So now, I want a to put it into a mathematical equation to shove in his face. Any ideas how to write it?

It's not a physics problem, and I'm not sure math is the right tool either. It's more of a logic problem.

There's no list of data that every senior knows, not even just the seniors at your school. So there's no way to establish "...you should know that". If such a list existed, then by definition you would know all the data on it because you're a senior.

Or, if the list existed, your troll could claim you weren't a senior if you didn't know all the data on it. But, your troll established the antecedent "You're a senior" right away, so he's actually contradicting himself with his comment.

I thought everything could be explained in a formula of x= ______ fill in the blank.

Any ideas how to write What? You didn't include anything other than the reason

That the statement is invalid. :P

Edited by The Sarah

As far as memory retention, and who learns what?. Some of the factors include interest and due diligence to that interest. Either way this subject isn't particularly a physics type problem. More neurobiology and psychological

I thought everything could be explained in a formula of x= ______ fill in the blank.

It's quite possible. I don't know how to deal mathematically with the assumption he's making, that there is data every senior knows. It's not correct.

Is he the type that would respond to a formula, or would you rather call him out on bad reasoning? If he were posting here, I'd ask him to provide a link to the data every senior knows... including him. Then I'd quiz him to make sure.

Knowledge of somebody is increasing with time (unless he/she has Alzheimer or lost memory),

so you could show relation

f(x)=knowledge(time)=knowledge(time-1)+average knowledge gain per second*1s

(if time is in seconds unit).

Knowledge second ago is smaller than knowledge now.

New data arrived to your brain by input devices such as eyes, ears, touch, smell etc.

They were collected in your brain. Could remain there for seconds, hours, days, or years.

Depending on importance, and their value, and whether you will be repeating/remembering them.

But the problem is they don't increase in regular steps.. One day you learn more, other day less.

As far as memory retention, and who learns what?. Some of the factors include interest and due diligence to that interest. Either way this subject isn't particularly a physics type problem. More neurobiology and psychological

I thought so it's more mathematical question, than physics.

Edited by Sensei

This guy is trolling me at school, he keeps saying that "You're a Senior, you should know that", but I find this kind of statement to be invalid. Because if Advancing to the level of Senior = Knowing a specific piece of information was indeed true, then why didn't I know that?

So now, I want a to put it into a mathematical equation to shove in his face. Any ideas how to write it?

I know exactly the formula you need…it's…let me see…I knew it…something to do with time…and retention…I had it…aaahhh...

…I got nothin'

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

Think about this for a second... It is possible that he is trying a classic psychological pick up trick with you.. ;-) It is a classic which seems to really work (Which I have NEVER used because it is horrible) -

1- put the girl down by making them seem stupid (by suggesting that as a senior she should know a whole bunch of stuff she don't),, This annoys the girl but bugs the hell out of her making her think of why he said such things.... she thinks about it/him all day and subconsciously thinks about how she can win his approval (because we all like to be liked).

2- she tries hard to convince him she isn't dumb or spends days on internet forums trying to come up with an equation to prove he is wrong... continually thinking of the guy (even if she doesn't fancy him yet).

3 - The girl returns to talk to him to challenge his comments, armed with an equation even, and then he then suddenly lightens up and gives compliments.... the girl is greatly relieved on the sub conscious level - it has all worked for her - all of her hard work and thinking and trying to get the guy's approval has worked and he has complimented her and it feels real good.. she has a warm feeling in side... hmm - it has something to do with the bloke who is now smiling at her... hmmm... she didn't realise she felt this way about him before....

4 - do you see where this might be going? ;-)

Without realising it you are trying to gain his approval... if you work hard at it and he then rewards you with positive attention then you will have feelings of positive relief accompanied with an actual positive feeling towards this guy who is actually being a jerk to you.

Edited by DrP

Think about this for a second... It is possible that he is trying a classic psychological pick up trick with you.. ;-) It is a classic which seems to really work (Which I have NEVER used because it is horrible) -

1- put the girl down by making them seem stupid (by suggesting that as a senior she should know a whole bunch of stuff she don't),, This annoys the girl but bugs the hell out of her making her think of why he said such things.... she thinks about it/him all day and subconsciously thinks about how she can win his approval (because we all like to be liked).

2- she tries hard to convince him she isn't dumb or spends days on internet forums trying to come up with an equation to prove he is wrong... continually thinking of the guy (even if she doesn't fancy him yet).

3 - The girl returns to talk to him to challenge his comments, armed with an equation even, and then he then suddenly lightens up and gives compliments.... the girl is greatly relieved on the sub conscious level - it has all worked for her - all of her hard work and thinking and trying to get the guy's approval has worked and he has complimented her and it feels real good.. she has a warm feeling in side... hmm - it has something to do with the bloke who is now smiling at her... hmmm... she didn't realise she felt this way about him before....

4 - do you see where this might be going? ;-)

Without realising it you are trying to gain his approval... if you work hard at it and he then rewards you with positive attention then you will have feelings of positive relief accompanied with an actual positive feeling towards this guy who is actually being a jerk to you.

But I'm not really interested in him :(

But I'm not really interested in him :(

Yea, but we haven't got to part 3 on the list yet have we. ;-) Anyway, just saying, you are now aware that it is a possibility.

As others have said though, it is a logical line that will solve it. If you want to use maths you could use a Venn Diagram with an arbitrary/estimated demographic showing that a number of seniors know most of what they should, some know some of it, but none know all of it and none know none of it either, or something like that. You could conclude the assumption that just by not knowing something, you still know other things you should and you don't really care what he thinks anyway and he should stop being so childish.

Hope that helps.

Just to add, I wouldn't bother going through all of the trouble drawing out your Venn Diagram and stuff, you are just giving him more attention and his plan might start to work. ;-)