What could cause a decade of global blackout?

lucagrabacr

Hello. Well, it's not exactly for homework, but I wasn't sure where to post this question. So anyway, I'm in the middle of writing a fiction book right now after I finally finished my nonfiction a few days ago, and one of the plot point is a decade of global blackout caused by low earth orbit EMP that was deliberately triggered to prevent an imminent nuclear apocalypse. Is it plausible? If it is, how big of an explosion, or how many of them are needed to cause a decade of global blackout?

I would say lack of fossil fuels and a lack of renewable energy sources. Most fuels run out as we know too well but regardless most global energy comes from non-renewable or slow-renewable sources

HQKZJe7.png

Edited by fiveworlds

I would say lack of fossil fuels and a lack of renewable energy sources. Most fuels run out as we know too well but regardless most global energy comes from non-renewable or slow-renewable sources

HQKZJe7.png

Thanks for the info five, but I forgot to mention that the blackout is artificial and just abruptly happened.

If artificial at least several depending on the size of the area you want to cover.

Keep in mind the effects aren't permanent, though their impact could be long lasting.

This resource may be of assistance:

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/EMP-myths.html

Thanks for the link Endy! Seems like it has all the information I needed. I'll read into it.