I need a mentor

It is not too late too learn even in your 40s. You can start from the basic and then proceed to the complex ones. First of all, which level are you in right now? You have to ask yourself this question. I believe you should understand Newton's law by now. You should start from classical physics before moving on to modern physics.

Physics goes complex as you continue conducting researches. The field diverges into many disciplines but nowadays interdisciplinary studies are taking center stage. Although the many-discipline-subject makes it hard to learn, they share a common root.

Basically, you need to know:

Mechanics

Optics

Wave science

Electricity and electromagnetism

Radioactivity

Here are some of the GCSE level knowledge I know (Please take note maybe some of them are outdated, sorry.)

Mechanics includes statics and dynamics. You get to know the forces in nature, how are they balanced and solving problems related to practical applications. You are introduced to types of energy, efficiency of machines, moment of forces, elasticity and momentum.

In Malaysia, we study pressure as well. This includes relationship between Force, Pressure and Surface Area in Contact, Pascal Principle, Bernoulli's Principle and Archimedes Principle.

Optics involves the study of properties of light. You need to know reflection, refraction, total internal reflection and critical angle. you should master the terminologies involved like focal point, principal axis, center of curvature etc.

Wave science involves the study of waves and its properties like diffraction and superposition. You will learn that light (visible light) is a type of electromagnetic wave as well. Thus, you will study reflection and refraction again albeit applied in a much wider field -- All waves.

Electricity and electromagnetism involve the study of electric field and magnetic field. You study Ohm's law, parallel and series circuit. You study interactions between electric and magnetic field as well. Electronics, another related field deals with how semiconductors, transistors and diodes work.

Radioactivity deals with the emission of radioactive rays, namely alpha, beta and gamma rays, their properties and instruments to detect them. You will study the half-life concept, the nuclear fission and fusion processes and finally how nuclear power stations work. The most thrilling activity here is you stand a chance to apply Einstein`s equation-- E=mc2.

Then from here you can further study other advanced concepts that are related to classical physics. You must have heard of relativity and quantum mechanics. What are they? Here is a good online book recommended for you. Be sure that you have grasped the basic concepts.

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Have fun with Physics.

I am just beginning my educational journey in physics and I need a trusted mentor to guide me.

First of all you can and should feel free to ask questions here. People are not usually willing to do 'homework' for you, but you can count on hints, tips and references.

From your profile you are enrolling on a course? There should be tutors to help you.

Edited by ajb