Worlds Energy requirements ' May be ' within our technological Grasp !

Mike Smith Cosmos

!

Moderator Note

Your thread on resonances was shut down. You do not get to sneak it into another thread. Especially considering that you have included no actual physics, and have not made a connection between the use of solar power and resonance.

A definition of Resonance , for reference in the context of this thread , concerning radio waves carrying energy , is taken from Wikipedia

As follows :-

In physics, resonance is a phenomenon in which a vibrating system or external force drives another system to oscillate with greater amplitude at a specific preferential frequency. Increase of amplitude as damping decreases and frequency approaches resonant frequency of a driven damped simple harmonic oscillator.

Resonance - Wikipedia :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance

Illustrated mathematically thus :-

post-33514-0-10125900-1483387895.png

This Resonance is precisely the energy transfer mechanism , proposed in this thread . Namely , the capturing " by responsive resonance " energy carried by sunlight toward Earth. Then retransmission at LONG WAVE FREQUENCY , utilising the feature of RESONANCE during the retransmission process.

After the reception of SUNLIGHT at various frequencies (The re transmission of sunlight energy : ) , There would need to be an energy conversion system , on board the vast platforms . The required energy , having gone through a frequency conversion process , would be re radiated , in the manner previously described at Long wave frequencies . This is then to be re radiated from a resonant system so as to make available energy in a redistributed system ( at its lower frequency , namely Long waves . Also in a more focused directed concentrated form , to be received as required at the centralised collecting stations , similarly by resonant reception antenna ) .

In ADDITION , The low power systems required across the entire surface , would be by a different resonant and antenna system .

I cannot avoid using RESONANCE , as it is so fundamental to this proposed system . And we have to accept that resonance , has been , and remains an important ,permanent part, of natures systems.

Illustrated with practical coils of wire thus :-

post-33514-0-57508500-1483390639.jpeg

Ref :- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resonance

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

This Resonance is precisely the energy transfer mechanism , proposed in this thread . Namely , the capturing " by responsive resonance " energy carried by sunlight toward Earth. Then retransmission at LONG WAVE FREQUENCY , utilising the feature of RESONANCE during the retransmission process.

Awareness of resonance doesn't represent the missing puzzle pieces in your proposal.

Awareness of resonance doesn't represent the missing puzzle pieces in your proposal.

Ah ! Well that is ' just ' , a design issue . A piece of cake , if you know what you are doing .

I agree there are a few major obstacles to overcome .

For a feasibility study ! start at the top and work down . Or start at the bottom and work up . Or both .

Top down : start at the sun , and list what makes up its radiation ,at satellite height .

Bottom up . Look at the individual requirements for a) central land based nodes acting as distribution points for heavier energy consumption . b) look at requirements for mobile equipment . c ) investigate the two activities of long wave energy transfer 1) ( satellite to land based station , high consumption fixed location . 2) satellite to mobile low consumption devices , anywhere .

Test the feasibility of all links ( including practicality of equipment. Principles of operation . ) for a start . Investigate the conversion of raw sunlight to long wave energy only ? ( the principle thereof ) . They are only waves after all .

Ps . I think that I amazed the kids that I taught , when I demonstrated some school demonstration equipment . We would go out on the playing field . The sun would blaze down and through a series of devices ending up with a motor and a disc attached . We would let the sun come out and the rock on the disc attached to the motor would begin to turn , then spin . They were amazed!

Mike

Ah ! Well that is ' just ' , a design issue . A piece of cake , if you know what you are doing .

I agree there are a few major obstacles to overcome .

For a feasibility study ! start at the top and work down . Or start at the bottom and work up . Or both .

Well then do it already. Come back when you have some science to present, instead of hand-waving and buzzwords.

Solar radiation . frequency spectrum . Here are some references to frequency spectrum ( no preferential order )

Ref :- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum

Ref :- http://naturalfrequency.com/wiki/solar-radiation

Ref :- http://www.windows2universe.org/sun/spectrum/multispectral_sun_overview.html

Ref :- long wave reaching through atmosphere :- http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/268125/do-radio-waves-from-the-sun-reach-earth

Interesting this last quote shows there is a window by which some radio waves will pass through the various barriers toward the earth . And outside this window it is not possible .( with the exception of the other window around visible light and infrared) . It would appear some short and long wave radio waves are possible BUT there is a cut off point as the waves get longer and longer and the signals get attenuated at this point and below in frequency ( longer wave length ) . Need to find out what those cut off statistics are ?

post-33514-0-01640100-1483608629_thumb.jpeg

Seems like ( 20- 30 metres is the cut off edge ) ? That is interesting because 20 to 40 meters is one of the most open frequencies ( spread ) for long distant communications on the Amateur Radio spread of frequency allocations for their use , although they have allocations right up to the other extremity of the 'window ' in the centimetre region .

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

• 4 months later...

TESLA was a scientist who had fond ideas of distributing Electricity Supplies high up in the sky .

So maybe my idea of Long Wave redistribution of electricity supplies is not so out of harmony with previous thought !

Except in this case the supply of electric is , or rather could be already there , with huge solar energy collectors positioned , high above the earth.

Mike

TESLA was a scientist who had fond ideas of distributing Electricity Supplies high up in the sky .

So maybe my idea of Long Wave redistribution of electricity supplies is not so out of harmony with previous thought !

Except in this case the supply of electric is , or rather could be already there , with huge solar energy collectors positioned , high above the earth.

Mike

All of the problems previously described still exist, and repeating yourself does not solve any of them.

Mike

There have been some excellent articles in The Economist lately detailing how we've reached a point where we can simply (not easily) replace fossil fuel energy use with solar and wind generated electricity. The biggest hurdle is that with no extraction costs, the electricity generated is so cheap that the distribution has to be financially handled through public or state ownership. There isn't enough profit in it to attract capitalists without government subsidization.

I used to be a fan of orbital solar because of potential increased efficiency, but I don't think it's necessary now that we're at this tipping point. A big global (minus the US and Syria, of course, since our two countries are united against intellectualism) push for energy independence would only improve current technology, making this goal easier as we go along. If we take the first steps.

The University of Texas at Austin recently announced a possible breakthrough in battery technology that, if it pans out commercially, could really make electric vehicles a lot more usable than they are now. Higher energy density, higher cycle count, much faster charging time, and higher safety factor. I have my fingers crossed - I always been doubtful about EVs because of the "less than fully 'there'" battery technology, but if we could surmount that it would be a whole different story.